Hand Plane Handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all :D On sunday I visited our local "tac a brack" carboot sale which was 99% cant be bothered to take to the dump stuff .......but I managed to buy a cracking Stanley No 4 ..it is a reasonably old ish one and cuts like a dream .The sole is nice and flat and the blade very well honed , it is also very nice to handle . Now this where my problem lies !!........it has the most hideous bakalite handles . I did not really notice it at first as I was too impressed by the rest of the plane and the handles were covered in muck etc ..

So , does anyone know where I can source replacement handles , rear and front .If not does anyone know who could make me some and I would happily part with £ and the timber needed . I know I could have a go myself but time is a premium .Any help would be appreciated to turn it in to a more aesthetically pleasing piece .

Kind regards Sam

Cheers for the replies guys . Thanks Pete for the link , I think it would be a small price to upgrade the plane and thanks Beaver .Andy , I say Bakalite , but I just assumed as it is in a similar state and looks ( texture ) very much like some old bakalite door handles I replaced recently , and I am not standing by my own quote :roll: So it would not suprise me to be plastic , but it would very tired and old plastic ..I thank you for your wisdom :D ( not being said in a condescending tone ) .....and you are more than welcome to them lol ...I will drill one when I replace the handles too see . It just seems such a crass thing to do , throwing a plastic handle on such a well engineered tool .

Oh and after planing up a job , in oak , I get lovely wafer thin almost transparent shavings off , best plane so far .

Thanks guys ....Sam

Hi Sam - bakelite just happened to be uppermost in my mind at the moment as I was thinking of visiting the Bakelite museum in Williton soon.

I agree that wooden handles are nicer, but I have never got round to replacing the plastic handles on my 1970s Stanley no 4 - which is also an excellent tool.

IMG_0209.jpg

Easy enough to do. These ones on this No4:

jlasjmdmdmdm-1.jpg

...are in English Walnut. A lathe helps though :-" - Rob

Back