Hand Plane Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Have been busy in the workshop this last week on a cabinet to hold my hand planes (no comments from the back please! :wink: )
I have had a change around in the workshop which has freed up a lot of space-so this needed to be built to take my planes. (No, its for my "users" before there are calls of "Co##ector" :lol: )
Have a look-still got the drawers to make....
planes%20in.jpg

Go to my web-site to see step-by-step photo's....
www.philsville.co.uk

Hope you lot like it,
regards
Philly :D

Nice work Philly. Nice DTs too....
Expect there's another cabinet on the other side of the wall.....

Noel

Expansion-don't know what you mean? :wink:
As Noely says-theres room for another on the the other side of the wall....... :lol:
Hand cut the dovetails-they came up well! Secret is to get some practise in before cutting them in the actual piece-call me chicken :roll:
Cheers

Very, very nice, Philly - and the cabinet isn't bad either! :p

I'm very jealous of your Compass plane :cry:

Neil

Neil
Was chasing compass planes on Ebay for quite a while-always went for silly money. Was walking around a local car boot and got this one for £60-it's in nice condition, not a lot of paint left but well oiled! Works fine, although it doesn't get that much use.......
Cheers

Philly,
I've been drooling over this one goinf for £100 - I'm tempted, but I have a nagging suspicion that my money would be better spent on a pair of Veritas shaves. Yours looks a bargain for £60!

Neil

As the New York policeman said about the ladies of ill repute offering "extras" with the hot dogs they were selling "So many jokes, so little time". *

I'll content myself with: Proper job, Philly. You've no idea how hard it is not to say any more... :roll: :lol:

Neil, compass plane? Pourquoi?

Cheers, Alf

*A totally true story.

That one looks in good nick!!!
To be fair the L-V shaves are great and much more usable0but who am I to talk?????? :lol:
Best regards

Alf":3pjkv38b said:
Neil, compass plane? Pourquoi?
No real reason, I've just wanted one since I was little. Must be my repressed wooden boatbuilding side coming out :D

Neil

<edit> I do like to make curvy stuff too, so its not completely off-the-wall.

Well I'm currently trying to rationalise my plane problem so; she's not pretty (rear handle rather crudely welded back on) but she works (Sweet heart era fwiw). Make an offer if you fancy.

circularplane.jpg

I also have spokeshaves... :roll: :oops:

Philly, I've just been looking at your hand cut dovetail how-to. Brave man. Almost makes up for the page by page super gloat disguised as the cabinet WIP pics... :p :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks, Alf - it was the Stanley #20/Record #020 type (like that blasted Philly's :evil: ) that I was really after, but I am tempted... :? Now, just hang on whilst I PM Alf to ask for some advice about what to offer... oh, damn! :lol:

I'll have a think tonight and PM you tomorrow...

Spokeshaves, eh? Well, I don't know if you remember me asking you if you had a convex shave a while back? I still need one, so I would be interested if you do, especially as the Veritas shaves took a major price-hike whilst I was dawdling over a decision :(

Philly, sorry about laying waste to your thread... :oops:

Neil

I'm impressed with the cabinet, the dovetails, the planes, the nicely-done explanatory website... just generally impressed all round :)

Philly,

Splendid stuff my friend! I guess my only reservation has to do with the moment when you want to reorganise everything to accommodate all the new planes with a proper place to put them!

I suppose there must be some sort of theoretical optimum for the design of plane storage - or any other tool come to that - but your solution looks pretty close to wherever Nirvana lies.

Many thanks for the kind comments everyone! :D
Glad you like the web-site. It's a bit home-made but it's getting there....
Chris-part of building this cabinet was to consolidate my planes (with, in the back of my mind, the intention of stopping buying more planes!! :wink: ) These are the ones I use the most-novelty, never used and plain just "I ain't got one of those" tools are being put out of the way. And to be fair-I need more planes like my Wife needs more shoes! :lol:
Just need to finish the two drawers (yet more dovetails-good practise this piece is :roll: ) and then I can get back to finishing my Daughters bed which is languishing in the back of the workshop taking up room. Those sarky comments from "The Management" are starting to get to me, too. (And who said I was thick skinned?)
Best regards

pipper!! Got here too late, it's all been said already :cry:

Philly I really like the cabinet and dovetails. Looking forward to the finished item :D

Bit miffed to see that your work clothes are smarter then my office clothes :lol:

Back