Hand operated CNC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People keep coming up with all sorts of machines that aren't quite what we had before and aren't quite CNC-such as the Maslow and this machine.They seem to have a few of the advantages of CNC routers and "traditional" machines and a selection of their disadvantages too.If an inventor has made one specifically to overcome a problem in their own workshop,they can work quite well in that specific situation.This one seems to be neither fish nor fowl as the cutting height is the only thing that is computer controlled and other dimensions will be determined by the Mk 1 eyeball moving the machine to a correct location.

Meaning that no two parts are guaranteed to be identical and it can't be left to do a job while the owner gets on with something else.As for flattening large boards,any CNC router will do the job.Using an argument that it takes time to program a CNC router is easily countered by asking whether a precise cut on a manual machine ever needs a trial cut to test the dimension,followed by a small adjustment if necessary.It is from a time when CNC machines were programmed by standing by a keyboard and typing in Gcode or pushing buttons for straight line and distance and having a calculator on the bench to work out tool centre trajectory.With the increasing spread of low cost and free software it is unbelievably fast to generate a toolpath and post process it to create a program.

I didn't see any indication of what it would cost to buy a machine from the Korean inventor and if it isn't obvious,would rather have a decent entry level machine like a Shop Bot and some simple software to create the program.I suggest that anybody with a bit of curiosity takes a look at the Freecad Path videos on youtube.An hour or so watching the sliptonic tutorials will de-mystify the process and the software costs absolutely nothing.

@worn thumbs You make some good points, but I still (for now) think there is a specific niche for this machine. The biggest threat is that CNC machines become so easy and fast to operate that even these simple tasks can be done in the same time as this Korean machine. So I think the long-term perspective isn't too great for this machine.

But for the moment, it can still be very useful for small series production work. I don't think precision is an issue (woodworkers have worked without CNC-like precision for hundreds of years before this), because of the stops on both the table and all 3 axes, meaning you can (as show in his videos) create very accurate joinery for many pieces in a row. Now, if you want to make the same thing one month later, you'll have lost your settings and it won't be compatible, but that's not what this machine is used for.

I thought a hand CNC was an etchasketch. :D

I don't think I'll bother, but thanks for the heads up.

This machine is similar to my Legacy Lathe/Mills For one of's they are o.k.
Where as a CNC set up takes time to program. I can change my mind as the work progresses ??!! I use mine quite a lot for turning spirals, flutes and also planing followed by finger jointing.
All good fun. I wonder what they will sell for in the U.K.?

Back