Hand made Morgan Roadster, wood frames.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff, DW 8)

Did you see that TV programme several years ago where the management guru, J Harvey Jones, tried to convince them they were doing it all wrong? They ignored him and are still going strong 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have always wanted a +8, but I did have an MGTC for a couple of years 8)

MGTC2A.jpg

I have always been under the impression that it was not just an ordinary model, there was too much aluminium MG badges under the bonnet and the normal model didn't have 10" finned brake drums either

MGTC3.jpg

I cried when I sold it, but I couldn't afford to ship it back from Singapore at the end of my 2 1/2 year tour there :cry: :cry: :cry: Then I cried even more when I arrived at my new posting, Brize Norton, and found that I could have got it onto a VC10 and shipped back for nowt!

I still have the radiator cap though and the aero screens!!

Nice, mostly. There was a bloke with no shirt on, and another very nearly dropped half a bonnet.
I do like the 4 cyl cars, not so fond of the V8 which I understand has to have big fat alloys so looks totally wrong to me.
Ash frames I believe... the whole thing is one big suspension component then!
Lovely really... one of the last bastions of craftsmanship, defying the modern mass-produced economy.
Morgan might be like the bee - if we see the bee disappear we know Earth's ecology is in real trouble. If we ever saw Morgan disappear...

Ash framed. That is correct. Just the same method as my MG.

No shirt and dropped would be the problem, but as is? No problem :mrgreen:

My old man had a car that had ash framing on the outside of the bodywork. A Feb 1961 Mini Countryman like these but grey. He bought it new in Bahrain whilst stationed there. He had it until the mid 90s. He needed to sell it because he couldn't maintain it any more. It was worth well over £1000 and I told him, but the stupid git sold it for £350 and cursed me for telling him different before hand. His way or the wrong way?

Paul Chapman":198ktu2q said:
Great stuff, DW 8)
Did you see that TV programme several years ago where the management guru, J Harvey Jones, tried to convince them they were doing it all wrong? They ignored him and are still going strong 8)
A couple of things I remember from that (1991 btw) programme; one was that they put the wheels on the chassis as soon as they could, because a couple of blokes had to push the thing from shed to shed to have various operations carried out - not so much a production line as a meandering production circuit! The other was when JHJ met some old boy who'd been at Morgan for donkeys years:-

"So, you must have seen some changes over the years" says JHJ. Long, Looooong pause.
'No. No can't say I have…"

Priceless ;)

To be fair, Morgan did put many of JHJs suggestions in hand, albeit slowly, and I think it's those things - increased productivity and efficiency, higher prices, vastly better margins - that have kept them 'going strong' today.

Cheers, Pete

My brother had a Morgan a few years ago and took me for a spin in it down the motorway. Although he didn't go over 50, I swear that solid iron bars had been used for the suspension :oops: ...it was the most uncomfortable ride that I've ever had. Even my Landy (and that had a hard suspension) produced a better ride - Rob

Stiff upper lip Rob - grin and bear it etc.
A friend put an ash frame on his Austin 7 rebuild, it seemed a shame to clad it

Matt

Must confess that Morgan's do nothing for me, a statement which, living near Malvern is close to heresy.

Now a Caterham 7, another kettle of fish.

A Lotus Super & is even better! I very nearly swopped my TC for a Lotus 11 with a 1 ltr Cosworth screamer in it but SWMBO scuppered it because it didn't have ant wet weather kit with it :shock: Who need a hood anyway :mrgreen:

DW, you think that £30g is a tad expensive? I paid £35 fo mine, from a young Rock Ape officer :shock: That's thirty five quid, not thousand :mrgreen: And I made a profit when I sold it 2 years later for £135. When I got it it was off the road for 3 months while I sorted it. I'll bet it's worth a few more now :cry: :cry: :cry:

John, I will have another look and let you know, it was a Morgan or might have been the Austin Healey, one or the other.

RogerS":v5ti4417 said:
Must confess that Morgan's do nothing for me, a statement which, living near Malvern is close to heresy.

Now a Caterham 7, another kettle of fish.
My middle brother had three of those, one after another and nearly killed himself more than once hurtling round the lanes near Newark - Rob

Back