Hand forged T hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosander

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to make oak ledge and braced doors to replace the ones in my house. I am going to make them one at a time, as and when i can afford the timber/ door furniture. My question is, Where can i buy some nice old or old looking hand forged T hinges? I have mooched about ebay and on the net in general. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of buying them at a reasonable price, that still look the part.
Thanks.... Pete

I've used past iron a few times now, espically for nails (they sell rose head nails at a good price) my only complaint abut there hinges is that they are onyl cut from sheet (unless they have improved a lot in the last 3-4 years) when i brought some a few years back, i could have got somthing close in my local B&Q, I think it comes down to what you call rustic.

Simon

Not had a lot of time today.... But i will check out the links. Dont think i have looked at them before so should be good!! Thanks to all the above..Pete.

srs":199ppluu said:
I've used past iron a few times now, espically for nails (they sell rose head nails at a good price) my only complaint abut there hinges is that they are onyl cut from sheet (unless they have improved a lot in the last 3-4 years) when i brought some a few years back, i could have got somthing close in my local B&Q, I think it comes down to what you call rustic.

Simon

Thanks for that, Simon. I did wonder. The Jim Lawrence ones sound better in that case.

I have looked at the Jim Lawrence stuff and its definitely the T hinges i like the look of. i like the slender taper, the pin hinges are a bit too garage door to my way of thinking? I may have to bite the bullet and pay what they are asking!! To be honest... i thought there would be someone in a far off land holding them down with his foot!! And beating them out for a penny a thousand. But it looks like they all come from ironmongers to the gentry. With a price to match.

How about finding a local blacksmith? There must be someone fairly local to you that could knock a couple of hinges out. Most farriers have also done some metalbashing, they may also be able to help you out.

Cheers

Aled

To be honest i fancy a go myself... May see if i can find a local forge,ask if i can have a bash on his anvil..... not sure what the answer would be! or a evening class maybe. If nothing else it will probably prove to me why they are the price they are.

If you want something special, I'd go with Aled here.
It might cost a little more, but it will be the genuine article.

John
:)

goosander":39rikaqc said:
To be honest i fancy a go myself... May see if i can find a local forge,ask if i can have a bash on his anvil..... not sure what the answer would be! or a evening class maybe. If nothing else it will probably prove to me why they are the price they are.

There's a useful looking video on how to make your own hinges on Roy Underhill's programme:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2712.html

I bought the 'worked' hinges from Pastiron and for the price I think they are pretty good and compare reasonably well with 'proper' old T hinges I have. Their D handles are very good.

Back