Hand drill how to fix?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I inherited this drill a long time ago. It would be a nice bit of kit, but the chuck is damaged and it has lived in a dusty space under my bench for the best part of a decade. I can't find any manufacturer's marks, how do I go about identifying/replacing/repairing the chuck?
20210302_212820.jpg

The chuck assy will unscrew and then you take of the backplacte by unscrewing it as well and then you can sort it all out. the whole thing will come apart and leave you with just the drill frame. You can do it all with a s m l screwdriver and a set of mole grips

hth

btw that looks like a stanley

The main cog is a Stanley orange in colour but doesn't carry the Stanley name. Quality is high though. The chuck should be 4 jaw but one of the jaws is missing.

They come up on local marketplaces with some regularity, usually for free if you want a donor
Aidan

Possibly Millar Falls.
The chuck will come apart, look for a grubscrew on the side of the chuck, might or might not be one.
Remove if there is, then the top will unscrew from the body. Normally only 3 jaws, common fault is damaged springs, replace as a set, from a spring shop, you won't find "spares". I would expect coil springs, but others were used over the years, these were made.
Clean out all the old solid grease apply a little new, it should work as well.
Look on the handle for a manufacturer stamp.

Bod.

Back