Hand Drill - 1943 - SIF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Ive just purchased and waiting to arrive, my latest vintage hand tool which I’m going to restore. On the handle, there’s a logo, looks like an M and a small c. I’ve looked everywhere on the net and can’t seem to find it. The hand drill doesn’t have the crows foot air ministry logo so not quite sure if it’s related.

Can anyone help with the logo ID so I can get a little more history of it?

Kind Regards..........Rob
2CB0B239-3CDC-4583-AF2A-2AC14FA531C8.png
D2CEBE9A-F7DE-45E5-B5F4-8D79ADAD792E.jpeg

I think the "Wc" may be an owners mark. May be 2 marks, "c" overlaid with "W".
Very common on wooden tools of that era.

Bod

I think the "Wc" may be an owners mark. May be 2 marks, "c" overlaid with "W".
Very common on wooden tools of that era.

Bod
Thanks Bod. I feel like I’ve seen it before. Might be thinking of Mac Donald’s 😂.

Well if that’s the case, it’s good when you pick it up and imagine an old craftsman might have been using it to build a Spifire eh.

I will say, just picking it up, the feel is VERY good quality.

Kind Regards Rob.

Could that be Suffolk Iron Foundry Crank Wheel, SIF CW hand dril?

I believe it’s the Suffolk Iron Foundry, as you say Sachakins. Was not sure what the CW/MC on the handle meant.

Kind Regards..........Rob
Crank wheel was a design type, maybe to differentiate from rack and pinion type hand drills, a bit of a guesswork, but fits in with others on sale etc.

Good to see someone taking the initiative when it comes to reducing energy consumption, and Rob will still be drilling during powercuts when the rest of us have flat batteries waiting to be charged.

It does make you think back to the days when sparkies bored holes with brace and bits, we used manual bending stands and threaded conduit by hand, now you have battery drills, battery pipe benders and battery threading machines, is it no wonder we have a less healthy society if they call this progress or is that why we have so many gyms around now.

It does make you think back to the days when sparkies bored holes with brace and bits, we used manual bending stands and threaded conduit by hand, now you have battery drills, battery pipe benders and battery threading machines, is it no wonder we have a less healthy society if they call this progress or is that why we have so many gyms around now.
I know, its crazy and exactly what i was doing back in the day Roy when I started my apprenticeship too in 1988. Being a manager now and looking at all the new technology with the young uns, its hard to get them to understand some really basic laws of physics - things like how a plumb line works(now lasers). The other day i had real fun explaining what a water line was and how that works.:D

Wait till you need to explain that sometimes you just have to ignore the tools and just use your eyes so it looks plumb! With that water line you did teach them that no mater how great a laser line is it cannot go through walls or round corners so one up for the water line.

Wait till you need to explain that sometimes you just have to ignore the tools and just use your eyes so it looks plumb! With that water line you did teach them that no mater how great a laser line is it cannot go through walls or round corners so one up for the water line.
Yeah sure did. One of them looked like I’d just taught them black magic!🤣😂

Agree absolutely. I still use a brace and bit for holes in wood above 3/8'' I find it boars out the wood in no time, especially for holes of 3/4 or 1inch. Much more control than an electric drill and you get a perfect hole. Not so much with the hand drill, but nothing beats a brace and a sharp bit.

Back