Hand drawn turned Olive wood coaster project.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Each disc drawn on with Colour pencils, cases made from ebonized Walnut with Olive inlays.
IMG_20200819_193115.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_192848.jpg
    IMG_20200819_192848.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Very nice indeed some great artwork on the coasters. What have you used to protect them from heat and liquids
Thanks, the initial sealer I've used us a good quality spray Yacht varnish but I'm debating whether to epoxy them, I'm not sure how stable epoxy would be on top of the varnish.

Thanks, the initial sealer I've used us a good quality spray Yacht varnish but I'm debating whether to epoxy them, I'm not sure how stable epoxy would be on top of the varnish.

Yeah, that's the wrong way around I'm afraid. You can safely varnish over epoxy, but not so much the other way around.

I know a whole bunch of people who would part with money for those. Me included and I'm not really one for coasters and such. Just lovely.

Yeah, that's the wrong way around I'm afraid. You can safely varnish over epoxy, but not so much the other way around.
Hmmm, well I'm hoping the varnish will suffice then ! I would have used an epoxy but it was just down to poor artist syndrome, nothing new there...live and learn eh... Cheers for the advice

Just as a matter of interest, how long ago did you make these? I ask because I'm curious as to whether or not they stayed flat. Slices across a branch like that are prone to all sorts of movement.

Should be fairly stable as Olive no Mike if it's properly dried out? I do (partly understand) tangential, radial issues but at that size and thickness would that not balance out if care has been taken. I (The Mrs) has an olive bowl made by Greek guy who makes stuff for tourists. Nice guy, nice stuff, (he gave me an olive blank for tool handles, top man). the bowl is remarkably stable. Ironically I just coat it in a dab of oil now and again to keep it neat. It's very thin but has never showed a sign of cracking in 4 years of UK wet and dry seasons/ central heating etc.

I sell olive wood. Some of it moves massively! I have some coasters that look like they’re a scale model of a wave!

Just as a matter of interest, how long ago did you make these? I ask because I'm curious as to whether or not they stayed flat. Slices across a branch like that are prone to all sorts of movement.
They were sliced about 3 weeks ago, before they were sliced they were reading on the meter 15% moisture, from my experience with Olive (the wood I use most) it remains pretty stable unlike many woods..Also I'm not shipping them off to my customer for a while so I can keep an eye on them....

They were sliced about 3 weeks ago, before they were sliced they were reading on the meter 15% moisture, from my experience with Olive (the wood I use most) it remains pretty stable unlike many woods..Also I'm not shipping them off to my customer for a while so I can keep an eye on them....

I'd like to see that reading down to 10 or 12%, personally, before making something like this.....but I haven't used olive, and you have. I hope it stays OK, because that's a lot of work spoiled if it doesn't!

They are lovely Adam and they make mine look quite plane. I would have loved to get hold of some olive wood, but never did :cry:

These are in beech and pyrographed. I was commissioned for several sets for friends and neighbours when we lived in France.

Attachments

• Coasters f stoyle.jpg
    Coasters f stoyle.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 13
Back