Hand dovetails question - Rob Cosman video(?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONGER

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to hand-cut some DTs(!) shortly, and I have decided to apply the 'Klausz' method... but I doubt I will be as fast as he is!

I recall watching a video once... it may have been one from Rob Cosman... where he 'relieved' the 'insides' of the tails to ease fitting (he says smiling... in the hope that the DTs will be that good!)... can anyone let me have a reference to where this was... or better, let me have a short description of how this is done.

rgrds, g.

hello

it is from the Rob Cosman video

after he marked around his tails on to his pin board, he chamfered the back edges about 1mm in from the top of the tail with a chisel

so he didn't bruise his pins during the assembly and it also allowed for some glue to squeeze up in to the chamfered bits.

screen from the DVD
http://www.dacteam.com/upload/userfiles/MI7/robukf.jpg

Be careful when doing this not to take a shaving right to the outside of the joint, otherwise it will be seen as a gap in the assembled joint. Thus it is a tapered shaving that needs to be taken and if planing the joint after gluing is envisaged, allow for the amount to be removed too.

waterhead37":mk2a266h said:
Be careful when doing this not to take a shaving right to the outside of the joint, otherwise it will be seen as a gap in the assembled joint. Thus it is a tapered shaving that needs to be taken and if planing the joint after gluing is envisaged, allow for the amount to be removed too.

I am not sure I follow you. There is no reason it should show as a gap (and in my experience, it does not)

Paul,
If you look at Jez's picture, the corner of the tail that is between Rob's right hand forefinger and the chisel is what is going to mate with the shoulder of the pin board and the root of the pin on the outside of the joint. If you shave enough, you will see a small triangular gap in that caorner when the joint is assembled.

waterhead37":2fl4p5a8 said:
Paul,
If you look at Jez's picture, the corner of the tail that is between Rob's right hand forefinger and the chisel is what is going to mate with the shoulder of the pin board and the root of the pin on the outside of the joint. If you shave enough, you will see a small triangular gap in that caorner when the joint is assembled.

Doh!!! Sorry, I completely misunderstood. I could swear that someone was talking about the rebate he planes to help registration. You are quite right.

Thanks to Jez... and the rest... did not get so far at WW class yesterday... got the stock prepared for the (2) drawers... am making a small chest of drawers out of quilted maple... very exciting stuff to work with!

-g-

Latest posts

Back