Hand dovetail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
it was much time I didn't come on this forum. I want to share with you my more serious work :lol: : an hand-dovetail joint of my kitchen aspiration machine wooden beam (I don't know how it is called :oops: ). In the picture it's still dirty, but now it has been sanded and the oak grain is came up.

What do you think about it??

14052005.jpg

14052005004.jpg

Hi Gabriele

Well done! Cutting dovetails by hand is not easy but you have cut yours very successfully.

Gill

.. guys..
you do blush me (is it the correct form to say???) :oops: :oops: .. :D and to think that it is the second time I dovetail a joint.

Alf":2ql1exzq said:
GEPPETTO":2ql1exzq said:
.. guys..
you do blush me (is it the correct form to say???) :oops: :oops:
Close. "Embarrass" you; which would probably make you blush. :D

Cheers, Alf

I'll try to explain perhaps I used an incorrect term :? ....simply the fact I consider me a young woodworker, to hear I have done a "brilliant" work with a not easy wood makes me feel like an old,expert woodworker. :D when I have done than few things.
However now I'm next to go in the new home, where I'll do my shop with a shed and four walls (before I worked under a shed outdoor, in winter it was very difficult: when it raining some water sprays went on the work :cry: ), I think I'll do more things and with the help of a digital camera I'll be able to share some pictures.

GEPPETTO":jhpp0gjk said:
I think I'll do more things and with the help of a digital camera I'll be able to share some pictures.

How wonderful! Although you have a good command of English, a picture is worth a thousand words, as we say. I'm looking forward to seeing how your woodwork develops.

Gill

Gabrielle, well done. Will you be using oak in the rest of your kitchen. Making drawers perhaps? If you do you WILL be an expert by the time you have finished.

Andy

Hi Gabriele

Nice to see you around again. The dovetails look great! :)

dedee":xchzoajd said:
Gabrielle, well done. Will you be using oak in the rest of your kitchen. Making drawers perhaps? If you do you WILL be an expert by the time you have finished.

Andy

Hi dedee,

I don't know if I'll use oak for drawers: the house roof structure is made of chestnut tree and I have some pieces which I'll saw in stripes (perhaps :? ).
... one question.. it's so hard to work on oak?? I haven't found a lot of troubles working on it. It's true that the plane blade had to be honed often... I'll see..

Hi Geppetto , Nice dovetails ! Oak is not to bad to work on by hand but put it near a machine and its a nightmare . Ive just made some oak doors and had to remake some of the stiles because the splitting chipping and tear out was just to bad to get around . There are pics of the doors on my web site under (work ).

Hi again.

How it was said the time is come. in the sense that I'm living in the new house since last saturday.
I have a new picture of the Fume Hood and kitchen nearly ended.
Naturally it has to be finished.

Bye.

13112005007.jpg

13112005005.jpg

waterhead37":2l8hs9eu said:
Gabriele,
It looks terrific! I really like the welcoming feel that the kitchen seems to have.

It the same for me, too. It's the part of house I like more. I think it is because I like eat :lol: and because I have only built it with myself apart the flat surface of white carrara marble.

Latest posts

Back