Hand Cutting Mortises

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a recommended way to cut a mortise by hand? Should I start at and end and work towards the centre or start in the centre and work out? Should the bevel on the chisel face the centre or the end? We were shown one way at college and the Collins woodworking book describes another. Do forum members have a preference?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Check out this tutorial by the esteemed Bob Smalser. Worked for me!

Don't miss the rest of the links at Cian's site (index link at the bottom of the page), and Bob's other tutorials. Great stuff :)

Pete,
that's a great site.

I see on his Part II The Tenon Page some saw guides on his shop made mitre box. I do not think I have ever seen anything like this before. Do you think he made them?

Andy

dedee":16pyxoqv said:
some saw guides on his shop made mitre box... Do you think he made them?

I wouldn't be at all surprised - Bob's almost as handy at the metalworking as the woodworking :). If you read through some of his other articles you'll find plenty of evidence!

Looked it up, and Bob said about the mitre guides:
The saw guides were picked up a a flea market decades ago but could easily be fabricated from brass or steel stock.

Few bits and pieces about M&Ts linked here, btw. Seems to me there are as many ways to do it as there are woodworkers. Whatever makes a square hole. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back