Hand-cut angled dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find my sampler of the one I did, nor the source of info, but it wasn't difficult. The key thing was to keep the centre line of the tails parallel with the grain thereby avoiding too much cross grain, not turned to be perpendicular to the edge as in many of the examples to be googled.

MikeG.":29jj10un said:
I've made precisely one in my life (photos previous page), and with that experience could now set out confidently to make, say, a tray, a fruit bowl, or a planter with angled sides.
I did see your joint, and it is great that you did that. I think, though, that the problem I had would not be an issue on your joint because your angles are much closer to 90 degrees than mine are. It seems the problem increases greatly as the slope increases. Perhaps you would have to make a more sloped joint with longer timber to see the problem - although obviously you wouldn't if you didn't make the same mistakes as I did.

How about posting photos which illustrate the issue?
I cut up all my test joints to re-use the wood, so I no longer have a joint to photograph. However the exact problem I had is described at 5:09 to 5:26 in the Bob Rozaieski video linked to by thetyreman.
The other thing is that my problems have has as much to do with the process as the result, and it is difficult to capture a process in a photo. One of my tests did produce a correct result, but the way I got to it was more trial and error than sensible method.

Anyway, I will cut another joint or two today and see how I get on.

This might be worth a watch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4nJ-WEEJo

It's Mitch Peacock cutting a double-splay dovetail joint. He does a bit better job than most of explaining the geometry of the double splay, and why an extra bevel angle is needed to keep the joint square. He also links to an 'Instructables' on the geometry, which is quite clear and helpful.
(Not sure how many sliding bevels you need for this job, but it's definitely more than one!)

Looks familiar. I must have followed the same procedure when I did my one sample but I had a print source.
I found it difficult to get, but with a bit of persistence it suddenly fell into place, and once the marking is worked out the rest is simple.
A lot of learning seems to be like that - you can be in a complete fog at first but after a good nights sleep it suddenly clears, if you are lucky!
So basically - don't give up too soon.

I attempted angled dovetails today for a drawer divider. It's...ok. The frame is square though. Dovetails could be tighter though.

Attachments

• IMG_4042.JPG
    IMG_4042.JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 185
I haven't followed his instructions personally, but Charles Hayward covers this in his book, Woodwork Joints, and he's usually pretty reliable on these sorts of things. I've scanned the relevant pages and created a PDF file which is located here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YwO2 ... sp=sharing

Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Thanks for that. I had a copy somewhere but can't find it.

Back