Hand cur Dovetails - it CAN be done

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone who thought it is impossible to hand cut dovetails and in plywood too.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/det ... age_id=140

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/det ... age_id=139

With help from the Veritas Saw guide, an APTC Ryoba, and a lot of inspiration & guidance from rec woodworking, Badger Pond, Woodcentral, ukworkshop & uk woodworking.

7 Drawers, 4 joints per drawer (I did the backs as well) that's 28 joints - I could tackle anything now. Next time I will have to think how to cut the grooves for the drawer base so that the runout holes are only visible on the side. I am stil undecided what to do about this. I'll either fill with some darker wood or glue a thin sheet of ply over the whole front, which will give half blind look as well.

Dimensions 39" wide, 16" deep 22" high.

It has taken about 2 years to get this far that equates to very little workshop time rather that technical difficulties. I only chopped out the pins instead of the waste once at which point I very clamly downed tools went inside and had a cool beer. I did not even swear.

I still have, drawer dividers to sort out, the carcass top & base to make and decide on a suitable finish.

The since of pride and achievement I felt when I finally got the drawer knobs fitted and could see for the first time a "complete" cabinet was immense. I am still on a high now. I did have some help fitting the knobs as you can see. She thinks she has a very clever daddy too.

So if you have never tried hand cuttings DT's give it a go.

AndyP

dedee,

You can't direct link to JPG images on Geocities!

Adam

And.....I think people are viewing it too much!

>The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer

Adam

Ah well, my first attempt at web page building is a failure. I've just posted the pics to the gallery here how do I get the url?

Andy P

And you can't do that till Charley approves them - they have a moderated system here - so images can't be viewed unless a moderator OK's them.
:cry:

I had a moan about this recently, but Charley said hed prefer to keep it as it is (see here)

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=898

I Personal Message Charley - that way he knows to approve them. I have to admit - he's pretty fast!

Adam

Hi Andy

You're dovetails look excellent. Thanks for the photographs.

Obviously, you couldn't have achieved it without Daddy'd little helper! :wink:

Well done and thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers
Neil

'Cos they want you to pay cash£££ to upgrade the bandwidth :twisted: - although to be fair, I've never seen that mesasge before.

Adam

Andy,

Cool. 8) All this time I've been trying to visualise it from your descriptions and now I get to see it. Excellent. I'm not surprised you're proud, you've every right to be. I think I might have given up long before to be honest :oops: Charming workshop helper, btw. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf, thanks. There are another 2 helpers due in May so shop time will be short and far between. I only help I can finish this before they arrive.

AndyP

Before getting a table saw I cut all my joints by hand. I didn't drill for a mortice then chisel the rest out. I used mortice chisels to remove all the waste. That was how we were taught at school.
The same with dovetails. Dovetail saw & chisels.
I didn't know there was any other way until seeing NYW. I never attempted lapped dovetails though. I marvel at those who made mitred dovetails.
What craftsmen they were before machinery made it all so easy.

Back