Hand crank pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekH

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and my query may have been covered before, but I cannot find an answer to my specific problem. Apologies in advance therefore.
I have a Keen M.C.Gooding hand crank bench pillar drill. It was my fathers and it is over 75 years old. It is in perfect working condition and is used regularly for the smaller jobs that I do.
Decided that the time has come to undertake a complete refurbish/clean/de-grease/paint as necessary etc. All parts have been dismantled easily except for removal of the flywheel on top of the cast iron frame and ball race assembly on the underside of the top of the cast iron frame. Clearly the two are joined together and move freely as one.
My question is:
a) can these parts be removed from the frame and how?

There appear to be no machine screw(s) attaching either part, only a blind hole in the side of the ball race cup! This feature is visible on the picture from the 1940s catalogue. (Would include a picture if I could work out how to do it.)

Any help would be appreciated.
Derek

Hi Derek and welcome.
Is it this type of drill?
qTLy96E.jpg

I took the photo from Worthpoint, there's a couple more pictures there.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -513431117
I'm sure this drill has come up on here before which is good news.
Can't help on the remedy except possibly look for a well fitted friction pin that's been painted over or filed flush etc? Maybe get it under a good light source and really check that top collars and sleeve? If it's been put together from component parts it must by definition come apart again at least 99 percent of the time. Mustn't it? :D
Just looking at the (tiny) photo, a thought occurs that just maybe you have to remove the hand wheel assembly, then maybe there is a way to remove the shaft downwards. Maybe the top is fixed after all?
I'm sure someone will be able to help out with proper advice but in my (very limited refurb) experience sometimes you have to begin taking it apart to see how it was put together.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes, that is exactly the drill. Have removed all parts with ease, including handwheel, pinion and threaded spline with keyway etc. Only the flywheel and ballrace remain attached to frame. I agree with your thoughts about being assembled from parts - therefore should be able to dis-assemble. I think I have looked everywhere but cannot see how it is done.
Regards
Derek

Have you taken out the top bolt?
I suspect theres a keyway under there and you might need an extractor to lift the wheel off the shaft.

Back