Hand Crank Bench Drill - Questions and Help with ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked this up recently from Ebay. I liked the enclosed gears - useful when working with children.

I thought it had a flywheel and auto advance mechanism (which it doesn't annoyingly) It's just a large piece of wood for a manual advance handle.

The drill loosens from its mount and rotates 360 degrees. However - the handle strikes the mounting piece and then can't be turned. So the drill only works when vertical!

Questions
1) Does any one know the brand / maker? (There is nothing on the outside anywhere)

2) Why bother having a rotating drill - if it doesn't work when rotated?

3) Is it actually an easy remove set up / rather than the drill being able to rotate? ie easy to take the drill to a different stand or mount something else in there?
[I think this is unlikely - just trying to find alternatives to the rubbish rotation feature.
100_0029.JPG
100_0030.JPG
100_0031.JPG
100_0032.JPG
100_0033.JPG

First thoughts, Keen, or Metabo.
When the handle is cranked, what happens to the wooden disk at the top?
If it's what I think, then the chuck will lower, till the drill bit starts to work, at which point the disk will start to rotate, to put auto-feed pressure on the drill bit.
I don't think it is designed to work horizontal, but to be easily dismounted for hand use, hence the smooth casing.
I think the wooden disk should be a metal disc, to give more momentum.
Certainly an interesting one.

Bod

First thoughts, Keen, or Metabo.
When the handle is cranked, what happens to the wooden disk at the top?
If it's what I think, then the chuck will lower, till the drill bit starts to work, at which point the disk will start to rotate, to put auto-feed pressure on the drill bit.
I don't think it is designed to work horizontal, but to be easily dismounted for hand use, hence the smooth casing.
I think the wooden disk should be a metal disc, to give more momentum.
Certainly an interesting one.

Bod

The top adjusts the feed. You dial its clockwise and the chuck lowers slowly. Dial it anti clockwise and the chuck raises. I've tried resisting the chuck hoping that some kind of auto feed kicks in but in seems to be a manual feed. I might try glu gunning a weight disk on to simulate a flywheel.

Having a separate handle to make it into a hand drill could work. I wonder if it's missing an accessory.

I've had a look at my Keen, turning the top disk clockwise raise's my chuck.
So the idea of Auto-feed seems to be a non starter.

Bod

Thanks for checking.

I had a try with the idea of it demounting from the stand and then a handle being attached instead.

It just wouldn't be practical. The handle would then be in completely the wrong place. Still none the wiser as to why it rotates and / or removes from the stand so easily.

Its possible it tilts to allow use with a lathe; it wouldn't need to crack if the work piece is spinning

Under the disk is a plate that's meant to have a block or something screwed to it. It's not finished on one side and is not nice to touch or hold - so I guess it's definitely meant to have a block screwed on.

Its possible it tilts to allow use with a lathe; it wouldn't need to crack if the work piece is spinning

The thing with the tilt is that is doesn't lock firmly in any position other than vertical. If you were to drill horizontally then the drill wouldn't be secure. This is why I am confused with the whole tilting possibility.

And vertical with the drill down in the regular position. Try and invert the drill and it won't lock in place

Back