Hand carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
morpheus83uk":1ynra0np said:
Thank you all for the replies.

I'm glad letter carving has been brought up as one of the projects I was going to do was make a holder for my karate belts and have some Japanese Kanji on there. I was looking at doing this with the router but I am thinking ig maybe best to carve it out and route the English words as I have a stencil. I believe a photograph can do this too but I am wondering what would be best in this situation?

Would it be something good to start with?

Thanks

James
You choose. Star with anything you fancy. Be prepared to spoil a lot of wood and make mistakes. The main thing is to get started. Just do it!

morpheus83uk":26yqam60 said:
......I'm glad letter carving has been brought up as one of the projects I was going to do was make a holder for my karate belts and have some Japanese Kanji on there. I was looking at doing this with the router but I am thinking ig maybe best to carve it out and route the English words as I have a stencil. I believe a photograph can do this too but I am wondering what would be best in this situation?......

Print out your photo at the size you want to carve, stick it to the wood, and carve through it. Honestly, it is far easier than you think.......so long as you have razor sharp tools.

Brilliant thank you again for all the replies. Sorry its taken a while to reply I have had some work done at the house and I couldn't get access to the computer.

I will certainly give it a go as this is Japanese Kanji would I need anything apart from the large chisels I already have?

When people mention about gouges what sort would I need and what sort of sizes?

Thanks

James

Latest posts

Back