Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but each kid that's not there is more space and less exposure for those that are.

And yes, I'm sure much of the commitment to schools opening fully in September that we're now hearing from minsters - in response to health experts' warnings about potential consequences - is to do with schools' childminding role and the (very) short-term economy.

Maybe I'll rename this thread 'Chris moaning about schools reopening'.
I just went to our local Tesco to buy some bits. Kids just wandering around in gangs like it was a regular after-school thing, no distancing between them or anyone else, sharing packets of carp as they wandered off up the street after.
The idea that schools can open safely with no distancing, no masks and just 'hygiene' and bubbles (massive in secondary schools) is risible - few kids have the fear that motivates most of us, from what i can see. PM on the news today speaking of a moral responsibility to reopen schools
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53710472
- what of the moral responsibility to those who'll die if there's a second surge in the virus (as expected)? I'm all for a return to education, but not a full return to full curriculum.
I wonder if moral responsibility and economic priorities are being conflated.

I see New Zealand and Vietnam are in the news today, 3 months with no local cases and they are starting to see a rise again.

I see New Zealand and Vietnam are in the news today, 3 months with no local cases and they are starting to see a rise again.
I am wondering if some of the "articles" I've read about them thinking it is due to the amount of stuff they are moving around from overseas means we will possibly see a ruduction in the amount of "Amazon" deliveries either as policy or a knee-jerk reaction

Maybe, I am not sure how reliant NZ is on imports though. They are certainly reliant on importing tourists.

i was thinking more along the lines of Bobajob and the Mountebanks

I don't know who Hancock is or any of the references here

The Tony Hancock was a comedian, probably better known through the medium of radio in his day than the Prime Minister..... hence the post's title:- Hancock's Half Hour - Wikipedia
He was famous for a sketch sending up the bureaucratic blood-transfusion procedures operating in the NHS at the time. Remembered very fondly by some of us.

The present 'Hancock' is the Minister for health in this country. The subject of much criticism:- Matt Hancock - Wikipedia

A bit of the famous British irony there.

Reactions: D_W
I am sorry I don't understand.
Bobajob - disparaging term for Boris taken from the name given to the week of the year when cub scouts would do any job you wanted as long as you paid them at least a "bob" - 12 old pennies or 5 new pence after decimalisation, in order to raise funds for the movement and charities

mountebank - a snake oil salesman or charlatan

I was wondering how our inept overseers would respond

The Tony Hancock was a comedian, probably better known through the medium of radio in his day than the Prime Minister..... hence the post's title:- Hancock's Half Hour - Wikipedia
He was famous for a sketch sending up the bureaucratic blood-transfusion procedures operating in the NHS at the time. Remembered very fondly by some of us.

The present 'Hancock' is the Minister for health in this country. The subject of much criticism:- Matt Hancock - Wikipedia

Thanks for the explanation!

Well France and others have been added to the list of countries that you have to isolate on return. I am wondering if a benefit from this is demonstrating to European countries the potential loss of revenue if they make our exit difficult, out of spite.

When he's mentioned in this household a letter 'd' mysteriously finds itself inserted between the first and second syllables of the name....:oops:

In tonights' news....

Public Health England (PHE) is to be scrapped and replaced by a new body specifically designed to protect the country against a pandemic by early next month, the Telegraph can disclose.......

Mr Hancock is seeking someone with experience of both health policy and the private sector to run it. Baroness Harding, the former chief executive of TalkTalk who heads up NHS Test and Trace, is tipped for the role.

We are so totally screwed.

In tonights' news....

Public Health England (PHE) is to be scrapped and replaced by a new body specifically designed to protect the country against a pandemic by early next month, the Telegraph can disclose.......

Mr Hancock is seeking someone with experience of both health policy and the private sector to run it. Baroness Harding, the former chief executive of TalkTalk who heads up NHS Test and Trace, is tipped for the role.

We are so totally screwed.

What about all the public health that's not the pandemic? Doesn't that matter now?

NHS Test and Trace only failed on two counts, although sadly those were testing and tracing.

The government's disjointed approach to health was highlighted by the fact Boris said everyone has to get healthy to beat obesity, only for his next-door neighbour to then offer everyone half-price burger and chips for a month.

Well France and others have been added to the list of countries that you have to isolate on return. I am wondering if a benefit from this is demonstrating to European countries the potential loss of revenue if they make our exit difficult, out of spite.

That seems a self piteous take on a decision we made. There is now a collective self interest facing an individual outside one. Bewilderment at the self harm is obvious, but of course every rational intention of taking advantage of it economically, as we would if positions were reversed and we held the cards.

I think we may be the losers, particularly if the French retaliate with their own quarantine restrictions on travellers from UK.

In particular if it creates a barrier to goods and services (as well as tourists) we may find our recently reopened factories short of components, and the retail sector short of both food and other imports.

Perhaps it is a practise for next year when Brexit fully happens and chaos at the border cannot be ruled out.

PHE being scrapped, hallelujah, long over due, they haven't been fit for purpose since they started their nanny state interference probably 20 or more years ago, WHO needs to go next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back