Hammer rip fence moving when locked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHacker

Established Member
Reaction score
For many years I have put up with one end of the rip fence moving about 1-2 mm when tightened. I have seen a post from at least one other person on here with the same problem. I mentioned it to Felder at one of the shows and they said they had never heard of the problem.

Today I found the solution: either side of the locking handle there are plastic covers on a lock nut, through which runs a grub screw to adjust the plastic runner on each side of the handle. There is also a small screw on the side of the runners which needs to be loosened.

Having fiddled with the adjuster I have now got a barely visible movement when tightening the fence.

Hope it helps someone.

I suspect that the member you mentioned, HH, was me and I got all excited when I saw your post.

Sadly, my Hammer fence (or as I like to call it 'How far out of whack are you going to be today' :evil: ) is either a Friday job or, like the dire "sometimes-90" degree setting point (also known as 'Another Hammer design CoS) on the sliding table, it was never intended to work properly in the first place as I don't have those extra screws. As you can see from the photo, the design is c**p and will ALWAYS pivot around that point as you tighten it up.

There is an empty tapped hole above the locking mechanism but I see no merit in it.

I mentioned that I call the fence 'How far out of whack are you going to be today'. This is why. The photo shows just how far out of 90 degrees it is when you transfer it to the planer from the table saw. The angle of dangle adjuster is bang on zero degrees and cannot go past it to - degrees to compensate. The only way of getting it to set to 90 degrees is to pull strongly on the top of the fence to get it vertical as you tighten up the locking knob.

I keep a square permanently fixed to the side of the planer with a rare earth magnet as I know I will need it. Each time. Every time.

"Hammer...redefining lack of fitness for purpose"

My fence has adjustment bolts for the vertical bit but mine is the B3 so no planer. Yours may well be different.

The problem I had was when setting the fence to a width when I tighten the fence the end would move a couple of mm closer the blade. The photo below show the adjusters that tighten the plastic sliders, the one on the left allowed movement when the handle was tightened

Hammer Fence adj.jpg

I can post further photos but I think yours may well be different from what you are saying. I do have a slightly hollow fence though.

Attachments

• Hammer Fence adj.jpg
    Hammer Fence adj.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 65
Back