Hammer in fixings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have bought (for the first time) some hammer in fixings.
I plan to use them to fit MDF skirting board.
I need to experiment before committing myself
I see how they work but,

Do you use a impact driver to fit them?
I assume so, as they have a posi head.
How do you remove them if you put them in wrong?

"Hammer in fixing" the clue is in the name.

Screwdriver for taking them out but you are left with the sleeve in both the wall and the timber, not keen on them myself, more for frame fixing then skirting board fixing.

Have been experimenting.

They screw in fine with a drill driver, prefer to do this as there is no risk of hitting the mdf and damaging the surface.
Best thing was actually my Yankee.
I drilled through the mdf and into the brick below with a masonry bit, I found I got a cleaner finish by countersinking this hole.

Was surprised how easy the screw out although doing that wrecks the plastic plug.

They may well be hammer in, but I think I prefer to treat them like a plug and screw with the benefit of easier fit.

Then why not just use traditional screws and rawl plugs? Much cheaper than frame fixings and easier to hide the screw head!

If you look at the thread on a hammer fix you'll see the angle is cut to allow them to be knocked it but screwed out and they work very well, I've used thousands in various sizes and the only issue as you said is you can't easily save the plug if you take them out, also the hole in the wood ideally needs to be fractionally larger than the masonary hole or the plug can stick and bend though you can get over that by GENTLY knocking the plug through with the nail/screw inserted.

My method was to knock it in flush then tweak with a screwdriver if necessary.

Lazurus":29xefljx said:
Then why not just use traditional screws and rawl plugs? Much cheaper than frame fixings and easier to hide the screw head!

The main benefit is that it's much quicker as you don't need to mark remove the wood then drill the wall, just drill the wood, offer up to the wall drill through and bang in a fixing, less likely to get the positioning wrong and easier if a long piece you're fixing without another pair of hands.
Similar benefits to using a nail gun rather than hammer and nails when you're trying to hold 3 things at once.

If you countersink the heads they're no more difficult to hide than ordinary screws either only fractionally larger.

You can hammer it in or screw it in, your choice.

The screw head is for easy removal rather than insertion.

Rorschach":3a5lhnj7 said:
You can hammer it in or screw it in, your choice.

The screw head is for easy removal rather than insertion.

Having never used them before I did not understand how they might unscrew.
Having played, I now get it.

mr rusty":1sfw9g8u said:
MDF skirting? use foam adhesive like instastik. No holes to fill, and will fill any gaps behind

I have had several people tell me the same thing.
But somehow it takes me too far out of my comfort zone.
I know that I really need to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back