Hammer C3 -31 combination machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
We're moving and I may well be constrained for space. So I got to thinking about a combination machine - specifically the smallest Hammer (ie not with the large support arms for sheet work).

Does anyone use one ? I'm wondering how much of a faff it is having to swap the fence from one end of the machine to the other when you change from ripping to planing and vice versa.

having watched a few of the hammer videos on their website and youtube, it would appear they aren't too difficult to change between machines. Ive not used one personally but I know a chap who has one and he swears by it

Hi. I use the cf 741 Felder which is made by the same company & is the Best machine I have ever bought, as for change over
not much of an issue. In a large workshop yes I would go for individual machines but been very happy with mine.
Best of Luck

slemishwoodcrafts":2hlovw5r said:
having watched a few of the hammer videos on their website and youtube, it would appear they aren't too difficult to change between machines. Ive not used one personally but I know a chap who has one and he swears by it

Would you by any chance have his contact details ?

I'm another Felder 741 user.

Combination machines make sense if you're,

-working on your own, they'd be tricky in a shared workshop
-working on low volume, high value pieces
-you're okay at planning ahead and working through a cutting list in a methodical manner

The biggest issue I find is that using the spindle moulder takes the saw out of action, if you've spent an hour or more setting up for a complex spindle cut you then don't want to break it all down before you're 100% sure that you've done it right and that you won't need to machine one more component. That can sometimes be a tough judgement call. But taken in the round I'd rather put up with the occasional inconvenience of a combination machine and have that extra clear space in the workshop for stress free glue ups and veneering.

I have demoed the Hammer combo a couple of times, I didn't find swapping over the fence a major issue but using the same size/shaped fence for the two very different jobs felt like a compromise. From memory the fence was better suited to the planer, I would want to ask if a separate rip fence was available for the saw bench.

Cheers Peter

From memory the fence was better suited to the planer,

Peter, on the CF741 I find it the other way around. The fence is fine for the saw but on the planer I'd rather it was about 100mm longer. The problem on most combinations though is that the pivot point for setting the fence bevel angle is right at one end, where as with a dedicated surface planer the pivot point is closer to the knife block. I guess this means the fence can't be any longer without compromising bevel angle accuracy and rigidity.

I have a C331 I have 2 fences a short one for sawing and a planer fence they are a great machine accurate and easy to use you won't regret buying one

I'm currently in the market for a Hammer or Felder combination as well. I've had a close look at the hammer c3-31 and generally it looks excellent, especially with the 2m slider in the comfort model. How ever I found the fence to be rather light with significant deflection when tested at the outfeed side of the table.

I know this is an old thread but why start a new one about the same machine.

This post is to tell you about 315mm saw blades for the C3-31.
Blades are not cheap and last time I ordered tooling I had to pay carriage from Austria !

The saw blades have two small holes each side of the main 30mm spindle hole, this limits which blades to buy.
I found some Bosch Optiline and Bosch Speedline blades with a 30mm centre but the small holes either side were not spaced far enough apart for the C3-31.
The best price I found was at https://www.kelvinpowertools.com in Scotland, so I ordered one of each.

Using a small round file I was able to quite quickly elongate the small holes so they fit on the C3-31.
In use the blades are fairly quiet and cut nicely, these are the blades I'll be sticking with in future.

Back