Hammer A3 3 phase to 1 phase?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benpointer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I am looking at a secondhand Hammer A3 31 p/t. It's 3 phase according to the seller but curiously on the rating plate it says:

V:400 Ph:3N Hz:50 kW:3

but then below it says:

Motordaten: 4,0kW 220-240V

Does anyone know if that means it can be easily switched to single phase, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? (Guess what I have single phase only!)

Thanks

Steve

Without more information the best I can think is this,
If the motor is connected in STAR then it will run on 400v 3phase, 3kW output
If the motor is connected in DELTA it will run on 220-240v 3phase, 4kW output

So both are 3 phase but at different voltages and will not work on single phase without a converter of some sort.
You could change the motor maybe but a 4kW single phase is going to cost a bob or two.

I have a couple of machines with such motors (only 2.2kW) that I run from vfd (inverter drives.)

If you look at this motor for example it has that capability; https://www.inverterdrive.com/group/Mot ... elli-100L/

I recently bought the same machine and had the same head scratching as you did.
There is a further issue in that the motor is mounted in such a horrendously awkward position that it's nigh on impossible to get at unless you either forklift the machine in the air (dodgy) or tip the machine onto it's side (how hammer uk do motor swaps they told me).
Suffice to say after reviewing all the options and doing a lot of research, I went down the inverter route.
Speak to myford man on this forum as he supplied the required inverter to me, he is also a wealth of information and a very nice chap to deal with.
Any questions, feel free to contact me.
Ps the machine weighs around 300kg so bear this in mind when thinking about logistics. Plus it's quite top heavy so a fun danger to shift.

Terry,
Haha no, I didn't. There are no secrets with eBay are there!?
That would be about my budget for a p/t but with cost/hassle of resolving the 3-phase issue it was too high for me.
Seems like a fair price for a quality p/t though!
Steve

Benpointer":1jt0l1uh said:
Terry,
Haha no, I didn't. There are no secrets with eBay are there!?
That would be about my budget for a p/t but with cost/hassle of resolving the 3-phase issue it was too high for me.
Seems like a fair price for a quality p/t though!
Steve

Steve

Was already on my watch list as I have been looking for a P/T for a while and sounds like our budgets are pretty similar.

The cost of conversion is something that has to be factored in, but also the cost of collecting an eBay purchase can end up being pretty high. I don't have anything that can move something that size so would end up having to hire as most eBay sellers can't really support a courier collection as far as I can tell. So an eBay purchase needs another £100 plus quid added for a tail lift van (even if they have a fork lift at their end I don't have one to offload it), plus fuel, plus a day of my time.

Having watched a lot of P/Ts on eBay over the last few months I have concluded the prices almost always go above what I would pay for an unknown quantity with no comeback, so I have concluded that for convenience and peace of mind I am almost certain to go down the new route and get myself a Startrite.

All the best in your search!

Terry.

just to chime in, i'd seriously consider upping your budget and looking at planer thicknesser with self setting disposable knives. You are much more likely to change them if it only takes a few minutes. If it takes you hours to change them and set them up you will no doubt run longer on dull blades or just not use the machine.
I invested in the hammer A3 31 and I can't recommend it highly enough. The weight of the machine tells you pretty much everything you need to know. Plus Hammer UK have given me fantastic customer service.

Adam9453":sztco93i said:
just to chime in, i'd seriously consider upping your budget and looking at planer thicknesser with self setting disposable knives. You are much more likely to change them if it only takes a few minutes. If it takes you hours to change them and set them up you will no doubt run longer on dull blades or just not use the machine.
I invested in the hammer A3 31 and I can't recommend it highly enough. The weight of the machine tells you pretty much everything you need to know. Plus Hammer UK have given me fantastic customer service.

I am sure the Hammer is a great machine and the point you make is a good one, but IIRC it is about 50% more. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Terry.

It depends, you can find good deals second hand. Not often but they do come up. An inverter plus wiring in will cost you between £350-450 depending on whether you can do any of the wiring in yourself

I am inclined to agree Terry on this one. The cost of an inverter for 3-phase and the cost of transport, courier or otherwise, have to be factored in plus there is always a quality risk, especially if buying unseen from the other end of the country.

So unless a real bargain comes up on eBay* I'll probably still to the best new m/c I can afford.

Steve

* and even then Terry's probably gonna outbid me! :)

Latest posts

Back