• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Halfords 1/4” socket set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of Halfords socket sets. One of them must be about 40 years old and still as good as when I got it. They are very good quality.

I have a couple of Halfords socket sets. One of them must be about 40 years old and still as good as when I got it. They are very good quality.
Me too although only 20yo. Blow moulded case has a catch missing though.

Cheers James

Me too although only 20yo. Blow moulded case has a catch missing though.
Oh.....I forgot about that!. My case is the same. I have to keep it closed with a piece of string, but I still think it was a really good buy.

Their old professional range,were superb quality, and much cheaper than the likes of Snap On. Not sure if the Advanced range is the replacement as they seem to have stopped making the pro ones a while ago. I find for cheap spanners that are reasonably good quality US Pro are not bad. Tend to use them for dismantling old rusty stuff, then the good Britool or Halfords Pro etc to put it back together once it's all clean and shiny again.

I bought my first 1/2" socket set in 1964/5, it was made by Gedor. I still had it all when I retired in 2009. That is, all except the ratchet which I wore out plus a couple of other replacements.

I have the bigger advance set with ¼ ⅜ and ½ sockets plus spanners. It has lives in my Landrover for sixteen or seventeen years. It’s got me home on a couple of occasions. They are certainly a reliable tool.
I have a set of Teng tools in the workshop which replace the set I bought when I left school. Those were stollen while I worked on the car. I was underneath and saw a pair of legs appear and then my tool box lifted up and ran towards a waiting car. It was down a private road as well.

I've used Elora spanners on my Landy. No cheap but fantastic tools, every bit as good as the old Snap On. I they are a German brand. Our local agri supplier sells them as separates.

saw a pair of legs appear and then my tool box lifted up and ran towards a waiting car
I suppose the rest of the body stayed in the car so the legs could make a quick get-away!

But seriously, can you believe it!! thieving bar stewards!!

I was a gardener in Bradford and spent a summer raking grass on housing estates. One day. I put my rake down to have a cuppa and a guy came out of the flats and stole my rake!! His neighbour saw him and told us and I got my rake back!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I spoke with a car dealership owner who told me most of his mechanics used Laser sockets, spanners etc. I suspect much has to do with how many other people you're working with and whether you are workshop based - decent kit goes walkabout quickly.

I was a gardener in Bradford and spent a summer raking grass on housing estates. One day. I put my rake down to have a cuppa and a guy came out of the flats and stole my rake!! His neighbour saw him and told us and I got my rake back!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
An acquaintance had a whacker stolen - he watched the chap do it. He is a big lad, so he jumped in his lorry and followed it to the local traveller's site. He took a six foot scaffold tube out of the lorry, stood next to a Merc and said to the one person who came out that he had two minutes to put the whacker back on his lorry, or he'd start with the Merc and anyone daft enough to get in his way. Three or four minutes later he was on his way home. :ROFLMAO:

I have had a Halfords mixed 3/8 and 1/4 inch socket set for around 25 years and am very pleased with it (despite the hinges breaking off the clear plastic cover of the blow moulded case within weeks.) I have other sockets but the Halfords set gets most use and nothing has failed yet.
Last Christmas Santa gave the kids a basic toolkit each including a small 1/4 inch Halfords socket set.

Recently my half-inch ratchet switch broke off. I went into Halfords to ask if they did a recon kit and the guy just replaced it off the shelf as it was one of their 'professional' ones. That's a good service. it was not new, I had bought it quite a few years ago.

Funnily enough just bought one of those as a housewarming present (more useful than a plant, right?) for my nephew. Was going to get a screwdriver set, then saw that which will do for screws and bolts.
Lifetime warranty means a lot. Like Leathermans, they may (arguably) not be the very best multi-tool but they are very good and if you break it, they will replace it, so you know that (unless you lose it) it’s a tool forever.

I suppose the rest of the body stayed in the car so the legs could make a quick get-away!

But seriously, can you believe it!! thieving bar stewards!!

I had a chap who made a kids rocking chair for his grand daughter at our men's shed. He put it out for the paint to dry and some scum took it I hope they got paint all over their jacket!!

Cheers James

Back