Halfa Woodie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vann

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Can anybody tell me what this plane is about? I'd say it's been butchered but the end plate looks like it's orginal.
mathieson1.jpg
mathieson4-001.jpg
mathieson2.jpg

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• mathieson1.jpg
    mathieson1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,134
  • mathieson2.jpg
    mathieson2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • mathieson4-001.jpg
    mathieson4-001.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,154
very nice, i put my money on an early bull nose. im sure its original i have seen catalogues with planes similar to that.

adidat

Yup, it's a bullnose plane. It looks like a smoother with the front half hacked off - I reckon the factory used to turn smoothers where they messed up the mouth into these. It's definitely a real plane, though :)
Philly

stunning little plane, that is =D> Nice clear makers markings too. Wonder what the blade width is - is it more block plane width / size?

condeesteso":2xiil275 said:
stunning little plane, that is =D> Nice clear makers markings too. Wonder what the blade width is - is it more block plane width / size?
I don't know how wide it is - the seller doesn't say (they never do :roll: ).

I'm tempted to buy it. $40 (~£20 for it and a Stanley No.71)...
mathieson1.jpg
...isn't a bad price. But I already have 2 x No.071 routers and I'd probably never use a woodie.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• mathieson1.jpg
    mathieson1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,031
Not certain if it is the same one (the angle of the front looks different) but here's something close in an 1899 Mathieson catalogue at Peter McBride's site:

http://www.petermcbride.com/temp/math_cat_planes/pg2a.jpg

where it is listed as a "Champfering smooth plane" - and if you were planing chamfers, you'd need to plane right up to the stop, so the design would make sense.

If that was over here Vann, I'd be needing that one :lol: Just sell the 71 on, but the plane's a wee beaut. (Scots - 'wee' - seemed appropriate)

vann im wondering if the Stanley is a brass/bronze copy there not uncommon.

or perhaps its just the light?

:duno:

adidat

p.s. or maybe my retinas have been scorched after seeing the oylimpic flame go through Taunton :mrgreen: thus affecting my vision

Latest posts

Back