Half lap joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi doing half lap joints on table saw and whilst this is fine for homemade stuff, there's a bit of play on the table saw.
Could anyone recommend how to get a more stable and reliable cut using this technique on the table saw.

Thanjs

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 185
A wonky saw is a wonky saw.

The obvious compromise is to use the table saw to hog out the waste, but do the edges of the joint (the shoulders) with knife and chisel in the traditional way. If I am doing lots of the same sort of joint I'll do precisely that but using my radial arm saw rather than a table saw. Cut the marking-out lines with a knife, then start say a kerf inside the lines and do repeat cuts to remove the waste, then chisel back to the knife lines.

GrahamIreland":15joj5cp said:
Could anyone recommend how to get a more stable and reliable cut using this technique on the table saw.

I've been very pleased with the results using a Flat Tooth blade with a 4mm kerf from Cutting Solutions in conjunction with a cross-cut sled on the half lap joints I've completed recently.

Sort the saw out. a tool that you cannot trust to cut repeatably is useless. Put in the work to sort it out and it will reward you in spades

Yes, I'd like to get it sorted. Having done a project now with multiple half laps I'm getting into the swing of it.

I think the mitre gauge is just a bit of a loose fit.

May try making a sled.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back