• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

half a page

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
When I log into the whats new page, I get a half page of topics. Then I have to press a button to "show more". Every time I read a thread and return I have to press the button again to show more.
Can this be avoided so I have a full page of current topics please.

Alex H

Established Member
Reaction score
Me too, but then what's the difference between 'New Posts' and 'Whats New'?

(because they seem to show the same thing)

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
New posts - Only show ones you have not read or have not read the latest update to it since your last visit

what's new - is basically a time line of everything including stuff that has not been updated or has been read by you already

hth

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
By the description of what you see, it appears the URL you are using is:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/whats-new/

This URL will show the first ten threads that have posts you have not read. Clicking on "View more..." at the bottom right of the page will show the rest of the threads with unread posts. The display will also continue with threads in the date order of the last post made that you have read.

If you do not want to see this, the URL you should be using is:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/whats-new/posts/

This will show you only those threads with unread posts. If there are more threads than will fit on one page, you will see the page counter at the bottom left of the screen.

When you use the https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/whats-new/posts/ URL as your saved bookmark, when the page loads, you will see a number appended to the end of the URL, such as:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/whats-new/posts/19458

Do not copy the URL with the number as your bookmark. The number is a time stamp for the new post search function and will change throughout the day. If you copy the URL with the number at the end, then you will never see threads with new posts created after that point in time.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Mike,
when I use your whats new new posts link, it automatically adds a number. So should I remove the number and then save? if so, should I leave the forward slash or not?

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob, save the URL without the number.

I'm using Firefox, so I bookmarked the page, which copied the number at the end, and saved it to my Bookmarks Toolbar. I then edited the bookmark to remove the number. You can leave the slash or remove it, as I don't see that it makes a difference. When you click on the modified bookmark without the slash, the slash and number will be added.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Mike, I cant edit the numbers. using opera browser, I can save the link, but no matter how many times I edit the link and resave. the number keeps coming back.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob, is the number being saved each time to your saved bookmark, or appearing in the URL? I don't use Opera, so I don't know how the bookmark saving process work.

A number will always appear in the URL when you enter the link without the number, but it should be a different number throughout the day. If you click on your saved bookmark every ten seconds, you will see the number increment by one. This is normal.

As long as your saved bookmark is without the number, you should see an updated page of threads with unread posts.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Still not settled this problem. Even when I am already on the forum, and I click the "whats new" button, I still get half a page, and have to click the "see more" button to get a full page.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
That's because the "What's new" button is doing what it's supposed to do. :)

If you want to replicate what happens when you click on your bookmark, then click on the down arrow to the right of "What's new" and then click on "New posts". I have the UKW bookmark in my browser Bookmark Toolbar and click on it to reload a fresh page. The "What's new > New posts" method does the same thing, but requires two clicks instead of one.

Clicking on the "What's new" tab will show you all new posts, regardless of if you have read them or not. The first time you click on the tab, the arrow to the right will not be seen (at least on my systems) and you will have to reload the page to see the options arrow.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
On the old site (which I mostly hated) I had it set to open on "unread". Once I read a post, it disappeared from the list. Once I replied to a post, it disappeared untill someone else replied to it. Simple. One button did it all.
Now I have to choose between "whats new" and .... hang on.... dont even have a "new posts" button on my menu.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
bob go here and set it as the opening page in your browser for whenyou visit ukwksps

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for helping MikeK and Droogs.