Hager Star200Max

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conrad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi has any body out there any experience of these lathes?

I want to turn large bowls and platters and would prefer to buy a German lathe.

I was close to making a decision on the Killinger KM1450 and then saw this one. It has better capicity and seems like a much more refined machine than the Killinger.

Its difficult to find information on either and was wondering if anybody here could help.

Cheers

I'm looking for a new lathe myself and must admit that I'd never heard of Hager before. The weight is only 122kg though I'm not sure if that includes the stand, if it does would that be sturdy enough for you? I notice you live in France so maybe these lathe suppliers are close to you and that's probably the most important thing regarding after sales service etc.
I probably wouldn't obsess where a lathe is made as most are far eastern made, many under several badges in the same factories and generally of excellent quality (price dependent). Besides a 'German made lathe' may only be assembled in Germany from overseas components. I think if the quality control and after sales service is present why worry where it's made? ( saying that I prefer Taiwan to China).

Your right Lakeburch it is quite light for the work I intend to do.

I wasn’t won over by Hager. I’m a Paddy I can do direct, I won’t bore you with the details, but the Hager is off my shopping list. So too now is the Killinger. Nice people to deal with, but I couldn't find any information or reviews in English.

When I decided to upgrade my lathe I looked on the Axminster site saw the AT406 and thought that will do. However, because of Brexit that became a little complicated. Hence why I decided to look at German lathes.

I wasn’t too bothered about where the lathe was manufactured as long as it was good quality. As you say most of the lathes available to us are made in the far east. In fact I believe the Axminster, Record Power, Stratos, Jet, Powermatic and several others are all made in the same factory in Taiwan.

So having gone through the motions of researching the lathes I thought might be suitable, I’ve decided to go with the flow and buy the Stratos. The products are widely reviewed, used and liked and that’s good enough for me to take a chance.

I found a deal on the Stratos FU 230 complete with the bed extension/outer turning device for EUR3,000 or about 2,500 of your great British pounds so I snapped it up.

Ironically, the dealer I am buying from also sells the Axminster lathes. They are the same price as the UK and no forms to fill or shipping costs. Had I known this before I started searching alternatives I would have bought my original choice. Axminster didn’t tell me their lathes were available on the continent, they just gave me links to the forms I would need to complete and a quote for the shipping costs for me to buy one direct from them. They did me a favour I guess the Stratos is a better package I think.

Great choice, I've just bought the AT406 but was very tempted by the Stratos FU230.
I only live a couple of miles from an Axminster depot and I've always had great service, so that plus the £600 price difference is what swayed it for me.
Enjoy your new lathe.

did u look at the Hegner VB lathe....was British and now made in Germany....pretty sure......
I could not justify the cost of even a used one now.......tho wifey did see a new one at the ALLY PALLY years ago and said get one....!!!!!
so making do with a Wadkin RS....

Great choice, I've just bought the AT406 but was very tempted by the Stratos FU230.
I only live a couple of miles from an Axminster depot and I've always had great service, so that plus the £600 price difference is what swayed it for me.
Enjoy your new lathe.
Cheers Lakeburch, I would have bought the 406 too if it hadn't been for the complications caused by Brexit.
Luckily I got the Stratos for the same price the only downside is I have to wait until new stock arrives in October.
Have fun.

did u look at the Hegner VB lathe....was British and now made in Germany....pretty sure......
I could not justify the cost of even a used one now.......tho wifey did see a new one at the ALLY PALLY years ago and said get one....!!!!!
so making do with a Wadkin RS....
Clogs at EUR8,000 the VB wasn't even a consideration.

Back