had it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doddy555

Established Member
Reaction score
saw going back i think onlly changed blade 4 times, an now it wont tighten for god sake, they sent me 2 this morning they come, i really fed up, they did say i could send saw back if i wasnt happy,,,,what the hell is happening with me an these dam blade holders, any comments what i should do ??? :(

You could consider getting a better quality second hand saw. My preference would be for a Diamond or Hegner but the Hegners tend to be on the pricey side. The Diamonds are not made now but were made in Suffolk by a retired engineer. Have a look on the bay they do come up from to time to time. In the meantime how about cutting by hand, this is what I done for a long time before getting a machine.

Clockie":1au2t30f said:
The Diamonds are not made now but were made in Suffolk by a retired engineer.

Close, but not quite :) . They were made originally by three engineers who set up business in the Midlands on the principle that they could make better scroll saws than those which were available at the time and with components that could be readily sourced so that a saw could always be repaired. Although the business was a great success, it shrank over the years as the staff retired or passed away, until all that was left was a sole engineer, Doug Woodward, who operated out of a wooden shed in the back of his garden in Nuneaton. I had the pleasure of meeting Doug there several times before he died a few years ago and he was a true gentleman who took it as a personal insult if any of his saws ever developed a fault. Not that many ever had the temerity to develop faults. Fortunately, he serviced all my Diamonds just before he passed away.

Diamonds are still very desirable saws, although they have a massive footprint and they can be noisy. They have blades which rotate through 90 degrees so they will cope with very large projects and they take a wide range of blades, including hacksaws. Their cutting movement has a pronounced "back and forth" motion which means that cutting at 90 degrees is an experience to be remembered!

Thanks for that. I have used a Diamond from time to time. I thought, a very nice saw.

Hello
I agree with Gill. Doug woodword was a real gentleman When i moved house the carriers lifted my
Diamond saw by the top arm and ruined it I phoned Doug for help send it to me was his reply it was repaired
and returned with in the week. This was also just prier to his death
I still use my Diamond saw This saw just keeps on going It's not a saw you can put on the kitchen table
it needs a solid stand it is a bit noisier than my Hegner but it still beats those cheap foreign saws worth
looking at
Regards Puzzler

Latest posts

Back