Hacks to help cope with the heat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That high temperatures add evidence climate change is a reality not just a theory is reasonable.

It also seems atmospheric circulation patterns are changing - increased temperatures should (broadly) lead to increased evaporation and increased rainfall or cloud cover. The drought across Europe suggests this is not the case.

That we should understand, react and adapt to these changes is unarguable.

The UK enjoys a temperate climate - there are much wetter, drier, hotter, colder, windier places around the world. Perhaps it is just part of the great British condition to whinge about "extremes" as if this island is uniquely troubled by that which many places routinely cope with.

Learn from them and enjoy the journey. A week or two of sweaty public transport, parched gardens and fields, a few fires etc may actually increase public acceptance of the response needed to to tackle climate change.

it is a british thing to moan (and groan) about weather, especially when either too hot or too cold, it has to be just right lol

it is a british thing to moan (and groan) about weather, especially when either too hot or too cold, it has to be just right lol
No the problem is our weather is too changeable so we never get chance to keep up. 30° heat should not realistically cause anyone any issues. The problem is we get it for four or five days after much cooler weather. Just as everyone begins to acclimatise to the warmer temperatures it goes cold again.

D_W,
I like ur mother already nothing wrong in being tight or froogle....lol....
Derek C.
Perth sound like my kinda town.....
I couldn't emigrate as I was to old but that was where I wanted to be.....

Crete, starts to get hot around the end of Feb....Ideal for sowing out veg seeds....
unusual to get any rain till Sep-Oct....just the odd storm but it's rare.....
Summer in never less than 30 but averages out around 36 most of the time....
I've worked outside for three years as the w/shop aint built.....
but it's OK in the shade....

Said prev.....wet a T shirt down before going out....I need it around 8am to start with....
and a large brimmed straw hat......
PLus I find it beneficial to have two pairs of work shoes /boots.....
change em over at lunch time.....never wear socks till November....
My Arthritis never bothers me much anymore.....least till it rains.....

It's another hot one today.
Our "space curtains" have just gone back up.

One of the reasons we were attracted to our house was good light in the main rooms, but this isn't great in a heatwave.
My wife has had the bright idea of clipping those mirror like space blankets used by hikers and emergency services over our S and W facing windows.
During the last temperature surge it made a big difference. With doors closed, the living room kept to mid 20's while it went well over 30 outdoors.
The blankets are cheap enough and this is a quick easy way to help manage the really hot days.
Rooms takes on a twilight look so the cats love it too :)

What are your tricks to help cope with the heat ?
Don’t have that problem living in Orkney

Its not the heat we need to worry about but lack of rain, we just had a dry winter / spring and summer. If we don't get
a wet winter there will be trouble next year ! And i mean a really wet winter !

I rather wish I could store this heat (which I like) to heat the house through the winter. I measured the exterior brickwork a few days back 30C in the shade and 50C in the sun. Sand battery?

Its not the heat we need to worry about but lack of rain, we just had a dry winter / spring and summer. If we don't get
a wet winter there will be trouble next year ! And i mean a really wet winter !
Hard to believe there's a shortage of rain on these islands.

Just looking at news stories related to flooding and rainfall over the last few weeks.
  • Kentucky - 37 dead
  • Death Valley - 1 in 1000 year event
  • Record rainfall kills 9 Seoul
  • Sydney smashes July rainfall record (1858)
  • Christchurch (NZ) sets new July rainfall record
  • Anchorage could see wettest July on record
  • UAE - non-stop rainfall breaks 27 year record
What I want to know is who is stealing our rain and how did they get it from here to there.

Just looking at news stories related to flooding and rainfall over the last few weeks.
  • Kentucky - 37 dead
  • Death Valley - 1 in 1000 year event
  • Record rainfall kills 9 Seoul
  • Sydney smashes July rainfall record (1858)
  • Christchurch (NZ) sets new July rainfall record
  • Anchorage could see wettest July on record
  • UAE - non-stop rainfall breaks 27 year record
What I want to know is who is stealing our rain and how did they get it from here to there.
Our rain is up in the sky. The heat will increase evaporation from the sea around us.
When it cools down the clouds will form and we will have some thunderstorms.

Apparently the north pole has been moving for some time! Although probably not enough to change our temperature yet.

Hmm.
Not sure on that one! I like a late night dip and its usually a lot cooler, so in summer its about 36°, winter 38°
In spain they had swimming pools that felt like they were chilled. When you first go in, its freezing! You get used to it quickly
Indeed the poles do move, but I was referring to the populations moving when their countries become unbearable.

Indeed the poles do move, but I was referring to the populations moving when their countries become unbearable.
I failed to articulate my post properly, i was meaning that as the poles move eventually the temperature in any given place will change, but not quick enough. I had understood your post and point👍

I failed to articulate my post properly, i was meaning that as the poles move eventually the temperature in any given place will change, but not quick enough. I had understood your post and point👍
The rise in temperature and especially the frequency of high temperatures is likely to move faster than the poles.

My advice would be to not have a greenhouse delivered and then have to spend 3 days outside putting it together in a place you’ve intentionally picked to not be shaded. Have drunk about 8l of water a day and still feel dehydrated

Back