Hacks to help cope with the heat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It's another hot one today.
Our "space curtains" have just gone back up.

One of the reasons we were attracted to our house was good light in the main rooms, but this isn't great in a heatwave.
My wife has had the bright idea of clipping those mirror like space blankets used by hikers and emergency services over our S and W facing windows.
During the last temperature surge it made a big difference. With doors closed, the living room kept to mid 20's while it went well over 30 outdoors.
The blankets are cheap enough and this is a quick easy way to help manage the really hot days.
Rooms takes on a twilight look so the cats love it too :)

What are your tricks to help cope with the heat ?

shutters definitely help, but there's often a 12 week waiting list, by the time they arrive it'll be cold again lol I was tempted to make my own but with how slow I am it'd probably take me longer than 12 weeks.

Time shift if you can (depends on job/employer). Early start, stop about 14. 00, plan to do little until 18.00. Like in many hot countries. Or really time shift, work 05.00 to noon. Lunch then afternoon spent inactive in as cool a place as you have.

I enjoy it. It won't last long.
Erm,,,,,, what won't last long exactly, the hot weather or life on earth? Details count.

I remember when it used to be like this in the summer, and the world didn't come to an end.
Do you mean the recent cluster of extreme heat in the last few decades or the single one that proceeded this change 80 years prior :rolleyes:

This heat is not something to be enjoyed or to not be taking seriously, it's the equivalent of having a damp wet towel applied to your forehead before the actual waterboarding commences.

It's another hot one today.
Our "space curtains" have just gone back up.

One of the reasons we were attracted to our house was good light in the main rooms, but this isn't great in a heatwave.
My wife has had the bright idea of clipping those mirror like space blankets used by hikers and emergency services over our S and W facing windows.
During the last temperature surge it made a big difference. With doors closed, the living room kept to mid 20's while it went well over 30 outdoors.
The blankets are cheap enough and this is a quick easy way to help manage the really hot days.
Rooms takes on a twilight look so the cats love it too :)

What are your tricks to help cope with the heat ?
Do you have these on the inside our outside of the window? If on the inside, you have to be careful because the heat reflected back into the window can potentially cause the glass to crack. But if it's on the outside, then it's a perfectly decent idea. I simply keep all windows, doors, and curtains/blinds closed while the sun is up, and then open everything when it goes down. I also have my loft hatch open during the day to give the hot air somewhere to go rather than the bedrooms.

All this keeps my upstairs rooms quite bearable. As for work, I work for home and mostly (when not slacking off completely) work in the cooler evening hours. I only have a small tower fan, but that's fine as long as there's some air movement.

Socks/tea-towels in the fridge work. If you can keep your feet and head cool, then that helps a lot.

From the BBC:

England had its driest July since 1935, with parts having the least rainfall on record, the Met Office has said.

It's how you say it, not what you say. The alternative "it was drier 83 years ago". Both statements are true but the former sells more TV and newsprint so that is what the public get!

BTW - I know this is driest not hottest.

Being generally glass half full - I enjoy an occasional hot spell just like the Costas - unusual for the UK but the norm for southern Europe. Just need to pace oneself, drink plenty of fluids, reflect on how much less pleasant winter weather can be - drizzle, dark by 4.00, cold.

Keep windows and curtains closed on the side of the house where the sun hits. The windows can be open on the oposite side to facilitate air circulation. Open all the windows when the sun sets.

Wear loose clothes and avoid synthetic textiles.

AVOID ALCOHOL at all costs, at least during the warmer times of the day.

When out under the sun wear ALWAYS a hat.

Drink lots of water or ice tea.

Eat light, avoid foods with too much fat, prefer salads etc. Add some extra salt in your food.

Secret weapon: Chilled watermelon the absolute summer fruit.

And remember the heat is not the problem, work is the problem. I have never heard anyone complaining about the heat at the beach ;)

Back