GWW Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

If you're in the market for a new workbench or want to upgrade your bench, then you must have a look at the new issue of GWW.

Ian Dalziel, a member of the forum, has produced the most beautiful bench.

Well done Ian.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the starting the thread, its nice to get compliments on the work we do as Steve Maskery said in a previous post we don’t really get any feedback on our articles in GWW, hearing from you guys here has changed that. Its also a particularly good site for information, and ‘letting out frustration’ on certain subjects.
The workbench I built was my first ever attempt at one, I chose large single dovetails as they seemed the easiest to do, beech, not steamed beech, was used as I had some left over from another project, when I first started it, like any project was a bit daunting but once it was underway it wasn’t as bad as I thought, I took my time and was careful as its always in the back of my mind that any mistakes would be shown to a lot of people.
I am well aware its more of a cabinet makers bench but that is exactly what I wanted, not the magazine, and I hope that people here will understand that when doing things for yourself you get what you want not what other bench manufacturers do as standard.
The bench is tailored for me, and I hope anyone contemplating building any kind of bench do the best you possibly can as it will probably outlast any other piece of kit you have probably even outlast you.
I have got some other cracking workshop orientated projects coming out over the next few issues, I hope they get received as well as the bench
Kind regards
Ian Dalziel

wow, we do seem to have alot of magazine type bods around here now!!! :shock:

suppose we best all start being careful what we say :lol:

on a serious note, why not seamed beach? was it just because you had some normal beach or was it for some other reason i.e. is steamed beach unsuitable for some reason????

(need some hardwood education..... sorry if this is an obvious question)

Ian,

A great bench indeed. It looks as though it will serve you well till at least retirement!

All this recent talk of benches has caused me to think in terms of a new bench for myself. I too should be interested in your choice of beech for the top. Why beech at all? I know it's very traditional for european benches but I am somewhat put off by the possible movement in service that gets mentioned for (especially European) beech and have inclined to maple as my choice for a bench top. I don't want to be flattening the top with every change in the weather!

Ian,

A fantastic bench :) Put's my shop bought one to shame. hopefully one day I'll get chance to build one.

Right, that's it! I'm off out to buy my GWW tomorrow morning ( not a subscriber, yet :oops: sorry Andy, Pete, Ian...) and see what this bench is all about. No tuits. Straight there. Three quid.
Bench is first job on list. After workshop, of course

Thanks in advance Ian, as this bench is obviously a 'doozie'!!

Gary

Ian,

I have to agree with Charley on this, it puts my shop bought one to shame. :oops:

Sometime when the list of things to make reduces, I will make one.

Hold on I've just seen a pig fly by :wink: (is that Pink Floyd playing?)

thanks all for the kind words,
I used beech because i had some left over from another project also its a bit cheaper than steamed, maple would also work very well as would other hardwoods
Ian

Back