GWW 150th edition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

In the June release of GWW, there's a few pages about an American's workshop, projects and so on. In there is a rather delightful tool cabinet, with shelves in both doors and on the inside, drawers on this inside, and so on. There's an off-hand reference to Fine Woodworking, in which this cabinet had been discussed 'a few years ago'.

Any chance someone knows what edition of FWW has this article, and if the article has plans, or just discusses the cabinet?

Cheers,
Esp

And perhaps the best picture of the cabinet can be found here:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00100.asp
Click the 'see inside the cabinet' link mid-page.

You might also invest in a copy of Jim Tolpin's excellent 'The Toolbox Book'. Although he doesn't feature the Becksvoort cabinet, there are several similar designs with drawings and construction details. Probably gives you all the info you need to make a copy that's as close or different as you'd like :).

Chris Becksvoort best watch out:

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/gidonsfurniturepictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1289

Well it's functional!

The most amazing chest I saw was on Norm's program where he visited some antique store ... just copied a clip from one of my recorded progs:

(Sorry - link deleted - please see e-mail below.)

Won't be around for long because I'm serving it from my own pc - too big to upload to my internet account!

Norm at his best - enjoy!!

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon,

Thanks for doing that; just about the only NYW episode I've actually regretted not being able to see. You miss out on half the genius of the Studley chest when you've only seen a 2D pic, don't you? And yes, it did take me this long for it to download but it was worth it. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Glad you all enjoyed it.

Pete - thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that before. Alf - I agree - quite different seeing it like this. See Norm is quite a hand tool enthusiast really :wink:. Chris - I've seen that episode a couple of times and it never ceases to amaze me what some people are capable of. Not just the fine woodworking skills required for something like the chest, but also the ingenuity - quite an engineering feat too.

I've had to take my server down - almost half a GB downloaded last night! But I've extracted the main part of the clip at slightly lower quality and put it here:

http://clip.webhop.net (again - Quicktimerequired. Sorry about the single pop-up.)

Won't be deleting it in a hurry.

Esp - look forward to seeing your attempt.

Cheers

Gidon

That looks a good one too Alf.

I've actually been thinking about doing one of these since I first read Patrick Leach's tale of the pattern-makers chest he managed to get hold of; I was thinking along the lines of a floor standing chest, maybe with a couple of cupboards, drawers up the middle, with the equivalent of Ted Owen's or Chris Becksvoort's chest standing on top - kinda 'chest on a chest', or tallboy style.

I do want it to look like a piece of furniture, rather than MDF screwed & glued (although Gidon't example looks perfectly functional!). Reason being, shortly I'll be moving house; where I'm going to has a conservatory & a garage - I think garage is going to end up as 'power tool shop', and conservatory as 'hand tool shop', so something attractive would be good in there.

The Toolbox Book may well be an investment I'll be making in the future, but I've just put in a 70 quid order at Amazon, completely on various woodworking books, so I think I should make my next spend on tools and wood, so I can actually do some of this stuff I'm dreaming of, rather than reading about it! Actually, don't really need the tools, but what the hey!? :D

Latest posts

Back