GW 171 Flip-top table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting several requests for info about the flip-top table in GW 171, in particular the pivot.

I had mine specially made by my uncle, but it would be quite expensive for a commercial workshop, charging £40 or £50 an hour to make up just one.

However, a small batch could be produced at a more modest price, possibly in the region of £15-£20. I'd like to gauge interest before having a batch made though, as the last thing I want is to buy a load of expensive brass and have it sitting around for years, or a box of pivots doing nothing. If anyone would definitely be interested, please PM me.
Steve

Hi Steve
Sorry-not after a pivot, just wanted to say how much I liked the table.
The veneering sounded like nightmare-are you going to try again or have you given up? :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Philly,
Oh no, not given up veneering, but I'm not sure I'll be using the epoxy again in a hurry! It was a right mess, I can tell you. I've just veneered the fronts of drawers for a CofD for our bedroom, and the inlays for our wardrobe, and all was well. Burrs are a law unto themselves though, aren't they? :)

BTW, I have a Q for you. In your Joints article, you talk about a dowel joint being strong. I've always considered them to be weak, because of the low long-grain-to-long-grain contact. Why do you consider them to be strong?

Cheers
Steve
(feeling argumentative again today)

Steve
Dowels are strong in the right situation. They are not suitable for every occasion but they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand as "a bit DIY". If they are good enough for Krenov, blah, blah.... :lol:
Been meaning to try veneering but there never seems to be enough time. That, and the price of vacuum bag kit! :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":2icdrczq said:
If they are good enough for Krenov, blah, blah.... :lol:

Difficult to argue with that :)

Philly":2icdrczq said:
That, and the price of vacuum bag kit! :wink:

Yes I know. When I made the Mackintosh wardrobe I had to buy a new bag, 10', as the door mould wouldn't quite fit in the standard 8'. It was over £100, without closures or valve, just the plastic bag.

Ouch!

Cheers
Steve

Slow down fellows I have still not received 170 let alone 171 you have me chomping at the bit. Apparently they run out of 170's waiting for some to be printed :cry: :( :shock: :?: :?:

Mix up with new subscription :roll: :roll:

Les

Back