Guy Martin - Gravity Racer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Fun program (amazing bloke).

But why, if the start matters, and they wanted a quick start, didn't they just take along a couple
of rugby league forwards, or similar?

BugBear

I think the series has finished now - he's had some lucky escapes?
Hope he doesn't push his luck too far?

With the Hovercraft trial, I remember Donald Campbell's fatal crash in Bluebird when the front lifted off - it maybe the way the program was presented but they didn't seem to take this very seriously. Everything seemed to be rushed with very little testing?

Brave man but a bit fool hardy at times?

Rod

With most of the records he went to universities to get things designed and tested and modelled. With the hovercraft he went to a bloke and his shed. I did feel that this was all a bit dodgy. I'm obviously not knocking blokes and their sheds (I wouldn't do that on here!) but I when thrust ssc broke the sound barrier, it wasn't built in some blokes shed. Neither was concord or the space shuttle or pretty much anything else that has held a record for mechanical speed. So why should they take a hovercraft make it a big longer and whack a bigger engine in it and assume that this is the best design for a world record. Guy Martin though - legend! Down to earth bloke who you could enjoy a pint with. Or a big mug of tea.

I love Guy Martin. Bit of a modern day Fred Dibner I think.

And

He can race a motorbike, one of the best in the world I would suggest but a little eccentric but that is his appeal.

Mick

What was the quote they showed... ' if you haven't crashed, you're not trying hard enough! ' :lol: very likeable character, up for any challenge it seems. Looked like he had some nice oak doors on his workshop with some nice 'toys' inside :cool:

MickCheese":22tcj9i8 said:
I love Guy Martin. Bit of a modern day Fred Dibner I think.

Mick

Hit the nail right on the head Mick =D>
That's exactly what I said about his last series, he's bloody brilliant. I really hope we see more of him on the TV and they get him onto something similar to what the great Fred did.
Did you see the Spitfire program ? Not completely his deal as it was happening before he got involved, but fairplay he don't half get stuck in, lucky buggar.

He couldn't get the pin to fit cause he was nattering away to another bloke while holding it in his hand. It expanded a tad from the heat. Just reinforces he's probably sound to stand around chatting when he doesn't necessarily have to :cool:

I'm afraid I can't stand Guy Martin. I'd never seen him before. Having alerted to everyone about the Spitfire programme I started to watch it but TBH I found myself loathing Guy Martin so much I switched off. Given my almost addictive love of anything to do with the Spitfire, that says a lot!

Ummmm..why? "Loathe" ? that's a very strong emotion for someone as sound, down to earth, self deprecating, genuinely talented and decent as Guy Martin is, to arouse in you Roger? What makes you loathe him? Everyone's entitled to an opinion and all, but I can't see for the life of me why you would loathe him. He can be a tricky guy to work with, I know that from following him and his racing career for several years now, but you are not in that position. You just watch him on the telly. .......

I've met him a few times. What you see on TV is what you get in real life. Very friendly, intelligent and good craic.

Noel":2k90zvee said:
I've met him a few times. What you see on TV is what you get in real life. Very friendly, intelligent and good craic.
Totally agree Noel, I met him in the lakes when he was covering the world sheep dog trials, a really nice bloke, down to earth, what you see is what you get, I also believe he is a damn good fitter.

Baldhead

" I hear motocross, and I smell hospital"!

Loved the whole series. My wife is besotted, and I'm enlarging my sideburns!

GarF":2yqcleaz said:
I'm enlarging my sideburns!

You're aware sideburns are also known as pippers Grips ?
Something you're not telling us :shock: :lol:

Really enjoyed this series - down to earth bloke who genuinely enjoys what he's doing and manages to convey that. As others have said, the new Fred Dibnah

markturner":2qikrdyd said:
Ummmm..why? "Loathe" ? that's a very strong emotion for someone as sound, down to earth, self deprecating, genuinely talented and decent as Guy Martin is, to arouse in you Roger? What makes you loathe him? Everyone's entitled to an opinion and all, but I can't see for the life of me why you would loathe him. He can be a tricky guy to work with, I know that from following him and his racing career for several years now, but you are not in that position. You just watch him on the telly. .......

Can't put my finger on it. Semantics anyway. Loathe? Dislike? Don't like ? Take your pick :D

DiscoStu":1xh1ccv0 said:
With most of the records he went to universities to get things designed and tested and modelled. With the hovercraft he went to a bloke and his shed. I did feel that this was all a bit dodgy. I'm obviously not knocking blokes and their sheds (I wouldn't do that on here!) but I when thrust ssc broke the sound barrier, it wasn't built in some blokes shed. Neither was concord or the space shuttle or pretty much anything else that has held a record for mechanical speed. So why should they take a hovercraft make it a big longer and whack a bigger engine in it and assume that this is the best design for a world record. Guy Martin though - legend! Down to earth bloke who you could enjoy a pint with. Or a big mug of tea.

bloke in a shed, yep thats Bill Baker.

note, Bill has been building hovercraft for 4 decades, he has built more F1 winning craft than any other person, he has built more craft full stop I think.

yep a bloke in shed, that's why they went to him.

Back