guttering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
This is so depressing my house needs a new roof, it needed a new roof when we moved in ten years ago and unfortunately the roof fairies have not paid me a visit so its time to get it fixed before it leaks 7k ouch!
Thing is while its getting done and the scaffolding is up we really should do a proper job and have the guttering replaced. The house is a forties semi and the cast iron guttering is leaking in places. Should i replace like for like and get cast iron or go for the cheap option plastic? any opinions gratefully received. I'll probably have a crack at it myself either way though i will have to pay extra to rent the scaffold while i do it.

Tom

Cast iron is expensive go for good quality copy of cast iron looks the same lasts well.When i last had scaffold the price was for one month so you should be able to do the work at no extra cost

Cast Iron will cost a lot more than you could imagine

Dont bin your old iron guttering and drain pipes weigh them in at your local scrap yard, worth a fair bit these days

Bean

can anyone suggest a supplier of cast iron guttering or possible alternatives aluminium maybe. I am not a fan of plastic i know it wont corrode but UV light can wreck plastic in a couple of years.

Tom

I am not a fan of plastic i know it wont corrode but UV light can wreck plastic in a couple of years.

Erm, not unless it was extremely cheap and dodgy stuff to start with, in which case you fairly get what you pay for.

uPVC guttering should normally last up to 30 years without serious degradation. It may be that the cheapest guttering is made from rechip (recycled virgin plastic) or worse, from any old recycled PVC (unlikely). If made from virgin resin there's no problem with degradation. The vast majority of PVC profile is very good.If in doubt, check the manufacturers data sheet for BBA certification, which shows it meets building standards.

I know this as I used to work for an extrusion company designing the c**p.

cheers

Ike

tombo ask for cast aluminium guttering, when you join it on to next doors gutter use some putty to seal the joint

Back