Guns,guns, and more Guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread went slightly off topic and seems to be fizzled out.

Maybe I could put some life into it by saying, I read recently that you are many times more likely to die in the USA from prescription medicine than lead injection from a gun.
:rolleyes:

In your opinion, the thread went off topic so you thought you would do everyone a favour by opening a door onto your anti-vaccine narrative by way of bringing the pharmaceutical industry into a gun discussion?

Maybe I could put some life into it by saying, I read recently that you are many times more likely to die in the USA from prescription medicine than lead injection from a gun.
Thats very interesting Artie! The things you learn! An endless source of wit and wisdom! :LOL:
Just wondered how many people have recovered from things with the help of prescription medicine, as compared to lead injection from a gun?
Maybe shooting is the best way to cure diseases? It'd shorten waiting times no end - just what the NHS really needs.
What do you think Artie? :unsure:

Last edited:

Oh Artie
Oh Artie, Artie,Artie,Artie,Artie. 😞
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

If you limited that statement just to opioids, it's probably true. Opioids seem to be effective for acute pain, but they've become a long-term therapeutic treatment without much justification for it and the number of deaths originating from opioid use (street or otherwise) are higher than total gun deaths - especially if you remove suicides. The path appears to be opioids to increasing dose leading to fentanyl and then death.

100,306 deaths due to drug overdose in 2021 according to the CDC. a little over 75k of those are opioid deaths.

I've never taken an opioid, so the path described is academic to me (by that, I mean not even by prescription - they are, surprisingly, offered as first line pain medications for even small things. It's ridiculous. )

Thats very interesting Artie! The things you learn! An endless source of wit and wisdom! :LOL:
Just wondered how many people have recovered from things with the help of prescription medicine, as compared to lead injection from a gun?
Maybe shooting is the best way to cure diseases? It'd shorten waiting times no end - just what the NHS really needs.
What do you think Artie? :unsure:
Don't do it, it'a an artie trap, disengage, disengage.....

Don't do it, it'a an artie trap, disengage, disengage.....

I just provided the numbers for opioids. They're not difficult to see. I'm not sure if there are cases where any of the new classes of opioids actually save lives. Other medicine is less arguable (not all of them, though. I doubt the net effect of benzodiazepines is positive).

Hi all

There doesn't seem to be many pics posted about the subject matter!

I've collected airguns for a few decades, The count stood at 185 but i've added a few more since then, I used to be a member at a range but as I workd 12 hour days and nights and used to get called in every so often, I was too tired to go and let my place go..

I presume the thread was started about real guns rather than airguns but i'll add a few pics..
Le3S9AB.jpg

That's a few of mine, I don't normally shoot living things, In fact I hardly shoot them at all, I'm more a collecter of nice bits of engineering!, I think i've only been to a range with any guns twice in the last five years!!..

In the pic below, The one in the centre with the plywood stock I swapped a BSA for it, The owner had chopped wood out of the rear part of the stock to make a Biathalon trainer and left it so thin that it split in to two parts!, He used multi coloured electrical tape to hold the parts together! :ROFLMAO:

I begged a few pieces of 1"Birch ply from our patternshop and made the sporter stock that's fitted to it!
wmm9M7D.jpg

Here's some good old British Webley mk3 rifles, Unfortunately Webley is a Turkish company now and BSA is Spanish owned by the airgun giant, Gamo :cry:
Ze0bkn2.jpg

EfyAONg.jpg

Old pre war BSA Underlever rifles, One is pre WW1 too made in 1907! (Third down)..
jDy3sdM.jpg

Some old Webley overlever pistols..
01okTmr.jpg

When I said I don't kill things, I've don Bonsai for many years and grey Squirrels started damaging my trees so I decided to remove a few, I shot three and the rest stayed away, They have killed three of my trees before that, One was quite a large one, I got home from work and noticed through the window something on the surface of a large Chinese Elm, Went to investigate, They had dug in to the soil and found a large root so chewed through it and pulled it out to bury a nut!, Half the tree perished after a few weeks, the rest died the following year!

John..

John that's a serious collection you've got there !

Are you in the airgunforum ?

When I was in the Marines (7 years) if you let a round off by accident it was automatic 28 days 10AS. thats CB in the army

Unless you live in either Chicago or New York City. The ghettos in those two cities are overrun with illegal gun ownership and the crazy fools love to kill each other. I'm a responsible gun owner and was at one time the California state pistol champion. I love my right to own a gun and will fight to the death to see that our second amendment stays in effect. It's there to protect all the other amendments.

Unless you live in either Chicago or New York City. The ghettos in those two cities are overrun with illegal gun ownership and the crazy fools love to kill each other. I'm a responsible gun owner and was at one time the California state pistol champion. I love my right to own a gun and will fight to the death to see that our second amendment stays in effect. It's there to protect all the other amendments.
About 1.4 million people have died from firearms in the U.S. between 1968 and 2011.
Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is 25 times higher.
Seems you have lost the battle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Yes, but not covertly armed, and certainly not PCSOs
No, we have covertly armed police too, but admittedly those are more concerned with the security of the country, when following possible terrorists. The last one we shot was being followed at the time when he went on a stabbing spree.
Plenty of armed officers on patrol in cars too. Like the terrorist threat, they are there in fast cars and heavily armed and acutely trained for sudden derisive action.

I dont think anyones ever claimed pcso's have or have ever been considered arming them, with firearms or tasers. Besides, the threads moved on some 40 pages from that post, i hardly think it is relevent now.

Not a relevant number until you remove the suicide component, which is something like 60% to 2/3rds of the total.
The suicides die from the gun too.
But why even bother to look for excuses in such and appallingly insane scenario.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back