Guns,guns, and more Guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Writing books about how things might be made better seems a reasonable thing to do. :)

it does seem to be easier and more profitable than actually getting involved in the legislative process. Ask bernie - he has a lot of ideals and never allows them to get stuck in the legislative process.

Hi all

There doesn't seem to be many pics posted about the subject matter!

I've collected airguns for a few decades, The count stood at 185 but i've added a few more since then, I used to be a member at a range but as I workd 12 hour days and nights and used to get called in every so often, I was too tired to go and let my place go..

I presume the thread was started about real guns rather than airguns but i'll add a few pics..
Le3S9AB.jpg

That's a few of mine, I don't normally shoot living things, In fact I hardly shoot them at all, I'm more a collecter of nice bits of engineering!, I think i've only been to a range with any guns twice in the last five years!!..

In the pic below, The one in the centre with the plywood stock I swapped a BSA for it, The owner had chopped wood out of the rear part of the stock to make a Biathalon trainer and left it so thin that it split in to two parts!, He used multi coloured electrical tape to hold the parts together! :ROFLMAO:

I begged a few pieces of 1"Birch ply from our patternshop and made the sporter stock that's fitted to it!
wmm9M7D.jpg

Here's some good old British Webley mk3 rifles, Unfortunately Webley is a Turkish company now and BSA is Spanish owned by the airgun giant, Gamo :cry:
Ze0bkn2.jpg

EfyAONg.jpg

Old pre war BSA Underlever rifles, One is pre WW1 too made in 1907! (Third down)..
jDy3sdM.jpg

Some old Webley overlever pistols..
01okTmr.jpg

When I said I don't kill things, I've don Bonsai for many years and grey Squirrels started damaging my trees so I decided to remove a few, I shot three and the rest stayed away, They have killed three of my trees before that, One was quite a large one, I got home from work and noticed through the window something on the surface of a large Chinese Elm, Went to investigate, They had dug in to the soil and found a large root so chewed through it and pulled it out to bury a nut!, Half the tree perished after a few weeks, the rest died the following year!

John..

from the land of real guns, and having had 10 "real" ones in the past, including .45-70 octagonal barrel, and up to a .454 casull ruger SRH (thought I'd like to try hunting for deer with a pistol)...converted all of those to tool and guitar money.

...at any rate. LOVE air guns. If I ever get back into shooting, it probably won't be much for anything but airguns. My dad was a bit more cautious than many here - when I was little, I was barred from shooting any "real" guns by myself, and thus spent a lot of time walking the woods with a bag of cans and two pellet guns (to stage little shooting galleries).

I think most kids these days won't get the sensation of "real" touch because they won't be able to get away from apps and texts long enough to do that.

I've collected airguns for a few decades, The count stood at 185 but i've added a few more since then,

My God man you need Therapy ;);):LOL:

185? You are an amateur compared to one guy i know, A dedicated airgun collector, Ten years ago i asked him how many he had. The answer was "About 400 air rifles & 450 air pistols, I need to stop buying them".
He hasnt stopped & you could probably add another 100 of each onto those numbers. He has forgotten half of what he has got but just has to have them all. Auctioneers must love him because once he bids on something, anything, he will not stop until he has won it.
Dont get me wrong i have a small collection but i shoot them & see little point in collecting for collectings sake.

185? You are an amateur compared to one guy i know, A dedicated airgun collector, Ten years ago i asked him how many he had. The answer was "About 400 air rifles & 450 air pistols, I need to stop buying them".
He hasnt stopped & you could probably add another 100 of each onto those numbers. He has forgotten half of what he has got but just has to have them all. Auctioneers must love him because once he bids on something, anything, he will not stop until he has won it.
Dont get me wrong i have a small collection but i shoot them & see little point in collecting for collectings sake.

Hi Keith

I have a friend up in Skipton that has enough guns that if He fired a different one each day it would take over two years to shoot every single one!! :eek:

I'm getting to the stage that I may not be here for a heck of a lot longer and am thinking of getting rid of a load as i'd hate to leave the wife and kids stuck with them, I asked the wife what she would do with them if I popped off, She said she'd order a skip! 😳

I also collect watches, Binoculars, Tools, In fact ball sorts of stuff, I've collected watches for 46 years and have over 2000 of those, Also have around 40 guitars and probably 70 Bonsai trees, It would be a full time job for my lads to get rid of all my cra er junk after i'm playing with the worms!! :ROFLMAO:

John (y)

OK change of plan Johno_O forget the Therapy and use the time to catalogue the lot :eek:that way the lads or your wife who i might add must have the patience of a saint, can get on with spending the proceeds of your collections :LOL:

Hi John, Usually we meet in the gentlemens section of the airgun forums, trouble is if a few collectors pop off at once the market will be flooded & prices collapse! As for guitars I keep making cigar box guitars, its the eternal quest for the elusive perfect tone! Funny thing is the first one i built still sounds the best to me, but i keep trying to better it.

I have a couple of old airguns, left over from my youth - how would I sell them in this day & age as the gun shop I bought one from has long since gone? FWIW they're a somewhat sad BSA Cadet of some vintage & a BSA Mercury that I bought as a teenager in the 80's. I refurbished the innards of the Mercury a number of years ago with goodies from Knibbs, plus a scope, the details of which escape me ATM. Our garden's now not big enough & the kids didn't take to the effort of break barrel, having been used to newfangled compressed air ones whilst at Cadets. I'm assuming they're not worth much, but I might as well liquidate them and I'd rather they clogged up someone else's house than mine :D. Many thanks.

A BSA Cadet is getting quite sought after, a rough one is about £30 a good one around £80 a mint one with all its etching on the cylinder over a hundred. Mercury probably about the same, good rifles but nowhere near the same build quality.

A nice collection, do you not include Pneumatic or pump ups like the old Sharp Inova, a great gun with a little modification!
I have a few multipumpers, These are the cheap 'Throwaway' Chinese B45-3 with the plastic magazine that has to be manually indexed!
wsZjhnC.jpg

An Innova at the top and Ace below..
ImoekxO.jpg

Some American one..

zPwsTEr.jpg

John :)

A few years ago a chap from here in Sheffield contacted me asking if I would consider refinishing two Daystate Airwolf stocks that he tried to freshen up with Truoil, He'd slapped way troo much on and it wouldn't cure, Each time he brought the guns out from the slips, It dragged loads of the fleece out that was stuck to them!

He said he would give me a BSA Superstar for doing them!

I kept him updated with progress reports and pics through email, It took longer than normal due to arthritic flare ups again but he was happy to wait..

These are the finished stocks after I de furred them, Stripped them back to bare wood then reoiled them..
DO6vDkY.jpg

The Rotary breech (RB2) Superstar I was given, These are fab airguns!
uh2icpr.jpg

The chap was so happy that he brought me a 'Bonus' in the shape of a BSA Scorpion spring powered pistol!, I was going to add one to the collection and expected to pay around £200 for a good boxed example, This one had been under his bed untouched for twenty years!!
qQ4VNkR.jpg

3FwGoKr.jpg

John (y)

John are you an expert?
I hope you don't mind me asking but I have a old Webley Junior pistol I want to move on and don't know where as the usual Ebay, Facebook and Gumtree are ruled out. any ideas where I should look?

John are you an expert?
I hope you don't mind me asking but I have a old Webley Junior pistol I want to move on and don't know where as the usual Ebay, Facebook and Gumtree are ruled out. any ideas where I should look?
Try Gun Star.

This thread went slightly off topic and seems to be fizzled out.

Maybe I could put some life into it by saying, I read recently that you are many times more likely to die in the USA from prescription medicine than lead injection from a gun.

Back