Gumtree Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I havent got much experience selling on Gumtree and put my table saw up on there. Someone has texted me saying they have paid via gumtree payment and i must click on a link to confirm it and then a courier will be arranged (after a bit of dialogue about the saw im selling)

I am a bit suspicious about this and am wary it may be a phishing link. I have insisted i cannot take payment that way and it has to be via paypal. Does anyone have an experience or tips with this, am I right to say no to the "gumtree payment" link?
tempFileForShare_20210609-115903.jpg
Screenshot_20210609-115924_WhatsApp.jpg

Hoho answer found. I insisted paypal and i have now been blocked. Apparently the money had already been debited from her card and couldnt be returned which sounded likely. I said i was very sorry for your loss.

If I click on any item on Gumtree there is a warning to the right of the screen to be wary of this.

If I click on any item on Gumtree there is a warning to the right of the screen to be wary of this.
I noticed this after, thanks,

Is this Gumtree payment business a scam?
not sure I understand what's happened............

Yes it appears to be after some research. I am not sure if they are interested in getting the item, more they just want you to click on the link so they can scam you i guess. Probably installs some ransomware or something

Is this Gumtree payment business a scam?
not sure I understand what's happened............

It’s a scam by setting up a website with a url that has gumtree in the name but is nothing to do with them. I imagine it all looks official and that you’ll get money after item has been collected to make sure the item is real and protect the buyer. Then someone takes your stuff and you never get the money.
Always check the full url and ideally the certificate and ICANN if it’s anything to do with money

Thanks for the explanation Tom, and danst96..... pleased that you didn't fall for it.

I always thought that its a bit like a localisesd eBay......
I'm a long way off the beaten track up here in Ceredigion!

Want to sell something remotely, use eBay, want to sell locally, gumtree or facebook marketplace, cash on collection only.

Gumtree was bought by ebay a couple of years ago I believe.

I also believe it was, but the two websites work differently. eBay is auction with online payment and majority of items are posted. Gumtree is mainly a classifieds website

Its my first time trying gumtree, i thought i would give it a go to try avoid the 10% charge of ebay but its not the best experience yet. i guess just stick to selling tools on here and ebay as a last resort. hopefully this trail serves as a warning to other users who may not be aware as i wasnt.

never had any luck with Gumtree but have bought and sold via facebook........and very happy with all transactions.....
there are idiots/wasters on both.......
I live a long way from the UK so worry about scammers......bust so far been lucky.....
the hard bit is getting the stuff here..........lol........

You will likely want to change your password and add some additional security measures to your PayPal account. Your details are probably being passed around like a dog toy right now.

I insisted paypal...

PayPal marketing is amazing. You think its safe, as every email they ever send you has the word "safe" on it.

I mean I even got an email from them once telling me that the money I'd paid to an online retailer was lost, and that email still had the word "safe" plastered all over it.

If you sell your table saw on gumtree and take PayPal, the only way to are not relying on the honesty of the purchaser is if you personally ship the saw using a courier that is able to supply proof of delivery to PayPal. Even then you are still open to the "not as described" chargeback. So, basically, still reliant on the honesty of the purchaser.

So, on short, there's pretty much no way you are "safe" when accepting PayPal on gumtree, or anywhere else for that matter!

It's great for buyers, but, as a seller, you leave yourself so very open that it's really best avoided.

Don't take my world for it. It's all in your PayPal contract. Read up on chargebacks and seller protection, and what you have to do to protect yourself, and you'll find that, for this type of sale, ultimately, again, you will have no protection at all, and simply be at the mercy of the buyers good will.

A very plausible Gumtree scammer claimed to have sent me money by PayPal,
and even sent a recorded telephone message claiming to be from PayPal,
confirming that his payment had reached my account.
However the payment did not show up in my PayPal Wallet.
A phone call to PayPal established that there had ben no such payment,
and that they never send phone messages - they only use e-mails.

Latest posts

Back