guillotine blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gog64

Established Member
Reaction score
My son just told me that one of our machines needs 2 new blades (which is expensive as that machine uses tungsten blades), which got me thinking. Maybe I've been watching too much Forged In Fire, but could any of you metalworking people use the steel from worn out blades? They are HSS or tungsten and I have them disposed of when they've been reground below a certain level, however they are still several kilos of high quality steel! Some are nearly a meter long, others are more like half a meter. Anyway, let me know if you'd like one (thankfully replacements aren't needed that often) and I'll contact you as and when. Collect from Gloucester. I wouldn't want anything for them, but serious & experienced metalworkers only please. These are not like woodworking blades where carelessness might lead to a nasty cut, if you drop a blade on your foot, these will literally chop it off.

Is there anyway if knowing the grade of steel used? When you say tungsten blades it makes me think they may be tungsten carbide- a great material but hard to reprocess.
If they’re a high tungsten HSS then could be interesting to repurpose.

Great offer though

Sorry, I don't have the exact specifications, they are generally OEM or direct OEM replacements from the grinding company, so I've never really got into the specs. The bigger blades are HSS (no Tungsten), like this:

IMG_2474.jpg

These blades are about 12KG when new and (best guess) about 8-9KG when worn out. The smaller half meter blades are used by the robot and are more of a PITA to change, so we spend a £1k a pop for "tungsten" rather than HSS. I don't know the amount of tungsten in them. They take a constant hammering for very long periods (years), so I don't think they are particularly brittle. I had presumed that a tungsten alloy strip would be brazed onto a softer body, but I've just had a look at one and they look to be one solid lump, however I'm no metallurgist, so that's just an uneducated guess.

I've just spoken to #1 son (who supervises our production team) and unfortunately he has literally just sent a worn out 1m HSS blade off to Kennedy for disposal. We have 4 guillotines, the tungsten blades get reground every 1-2 months, the HSS every 1-2 weeks. My guesstimate is that we'll have another HSS blade worn out in about 2 months and a tungsten half meter blade in about 3 months. After that, probably 1-2 more HSS will be worn out during 2021 and 1 more tungsten. All very approximate as we try and get as much use out of them as possible!

The first HSS is now spoken for, but feel free to contact me and I'll let you know when they become available.

Pictures of what you turn them into would be great!

Back