Guide rail help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriggi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a DeWalt circular saw (DW365) that I bought new many years ago. It came with some plastic attachments that allow it to fix to a guide rail which DeWalt no longer make.

I'm trying to find a guide rail (from any manufacturer) that the saw will fit onto, but I'm struggling to get dimensions for the profile of many guide rails. Does anyone know of a data base for the profiles of different manufacturers guide rails?

As my saw was purchased before plunge saws were common I suspect the guide rail dimensions are probably not similar to todays plunge saws. I've taken the below photo that includes measurements of the DW365 saw with the plastic rail attachments attached and dimensions from these to the saw blade.

Does anyone know of a guide rail that this will fit onto or any other options I might have.

DW365-circular-saw-dimensions-02.jpg

I'm not familiar with Dewalt saws and their tracks. Someone in our forum might know. Failing that you could contact Dewalt direct and if no joy Trend make a 2.4 m guide rail (their is a joint piece that you be undone to enable you to use one of the 1.2m tracks). They also do a universal attachment that you can fit a circular saw to which fits nicely into the Tracks groove. It's a competent bit if kit.

Here’s the size of the current dewalt guide rails the outer most guide would be for when it’s angled at 45 or less. I would say that the dewalt rail would be the only one that would work as the festool style ones are around 120mm

Attachments

• 86250081-E683-45C0-97D4-2D486615A341.jpeg
    86250081-E683-45C0-97D4-2D486615A341.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 85
  • E5935041-BF2A-41F7-9D40-5A70E8310139.jpeg
    E5935041-BF2A-41F7-9D40-5A70E8310139.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 9B988BA5-A42C-4E82-BF1E-3A1E3AE7A0A8.jpeg
    9B988BA5-A42C-4E82-BF1E-3A1E3AE7A0A8.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 6655EB40-B9FB-425B-96CB-699D3A5678D5.png
    6655EB40-B9FB-425B-96CB-699D3A5678D5.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 130
I have a DeWalt circular saw (DW365) that I bought new many years ago. It came with some plastic attachments that allow it to fix to a guide rail which DeWalt no longer make.

I'm trying to find a guide rail (from any manufacturer) that the saw will fit onto, but I'm struggling to get dimensions for the profile of many guide rails. Does anyone know of a data base for the profiles of different manufacturers guide rails?

As my saw was purchased before plunge saws were common I suspect the guide rail dimensions are probably not similar to todays plunge saws. I've taken the below photo that includes measurements of the DW365 saw with the plastic rail attachments attached and dimensions from these to the saw blade.

Does anyone know of a guide rail that this will fit onto or any other options I might have.

View attachment 102528

Sorry I can't help on what rails will fit but couldn't you just make a guide rail out of some ply?

If you look at the underside of a tracksaw you will see it is not 'plain' as your saw.
Sorry, it's either a circular power saw or a track saw, two different tools.

Thanks everyone for your reply. Especially HDC83, the photos with measurements are really helpful. As you say it looks like only the DeWalt track will work with my DeWalt circular saw.

pe2dave, the base of the circular saw is indeed flat but it has the ability to attach some plastic guides that allow the saw to run on a rail. So although not a dedicated track saw it has the ability to run on a track. I think the newer DeWalt circular saws (not plunge saw) like the one HDC83 linked to have a groove mounded into the base of the saw also allowing it to run on a track.

Hi

If the saw is good and you do not want to buy a new tracksaw then why not do what I do with my Bosch non track saw and that is just clamp a straight edge down and run the saw along it, I have thought about tracksaws and looked into them but never gone further.

Spectric, thanks for your reply. I have used a straight edge in the past but I have a project coming up where I'll need to cut down quite a few sheets of material and a guide rail would make this much easier. As I already had a circular saw which has the ability to run on a track I was hoping to be able to do this. Looks like from HDC83's photos that a DeWalt track will allow me to do this.

Hunter27 Could I ask a favour. Would it be possible to get a measurement from your Evolution 2 track? Specifically the distance from the edge of the aluminium track edge to the first of the rails that sticks up on the track. And also the width of the rail that sticks up (this is probably about 16 or 17mm I would guess)? Would be really helpful if you have time.

Hunter27 Could I ask a favour. Would it be possible to get a measurement from your Evolution 2 track? Specifically the distance from the edge of the aluminium track edge to the first of the rails that sticks up on the track. And also the width of the rail that sticks up (this is probably about 16 or 17mm I would guess)? Would be really helpful if you have time.
The evolution track is roughly the same as festool/triton/makita/old style Bosch/metabo around at 120ish.
I will say that the dewalt track is a pain to join to stay straight. I ended up getting a 2.6 rail for long cuts

Last edited:
Hi. No problem, I am busy right now but will report back later.
Pete

Kriggi
I hope this helps drawing isn't to scale, the extra 6.5mm is the splinter guard that has not been trimmed yet.
Track.jpg
track2.jpg
Pete

Pete. Thank you for taking the time to take measurements, I really appreciate it.

Looks like the Evolution track is a similar size to the standard tracks from Festool, Bosch, Makita etc. Unfortunately it won’t suit the DeWalt saw I have.

So looks like I’m after a DeWalt track to go with my DeWalt saw! Who would have guessed. Shame they seem to be sold out everywhere

This is what I did but using a different design I made 2 different lengths, they did work but the proper track is so much better being thinner so it allows a deeper cut, the clamps don't get in the way and up to now I have hardly needed to use the clamps as the tracks are so grippy underneath.
Although I have only used one of my tracks so far.

Remove the existing track mounts on the saw and 3D print some that will work with the Festool/Makita spacing? Maybe use the Makita track saw adapter for design reference?

Back