• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Guess the tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Came across this a few months back and when you guys was playing the guess the tool game I though this maybe something to post. Just remembered and taken a photo.

Attachments

PMK54

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure my Dad had an identical gauge that he kept in the glove compartment of his Ford Anglia etc.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
woodbloke":37sfvmak said:
Nope...it's a telescopic candle snuffer! :D - Rob
Oh of course!!!

Isn't that the Stay-Snuffed version with the detachable...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ouch! Yup! :wink: :mrgreen:

Jim

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
jimi43":qzgmc3um said:
woodbloke":qzgmc3um said:
Nope...it's a telescopic candle snuffer! :D - Rob
Oh of course!!!

Isn't that the Stay-Snuffed version with the detachable...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ouch! Yup! :wink: :mrgreen:

Jim
Don't know what you mean Jim...you're obviously referring to slidy shoes wot fall off the end of sash cramps. Don't know what else it could be :---) :-" :mrgreen: - Rob

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
This is undoubtedly a really stupid question (be kind), but is there any other use for a tyre pressure gauge apart from, well, measuring tyre pressure? I only ask because of the four tool chest/box contents I've acquired over the years, at least two of them had a flippin' tyre pressure gauge amongst the bits and bobs. I mean one, yeah, fair enough. But at two (50%, no less) you do start to wonder if there was some other use they were being put to.

Or am I just a natural tyre pressure gauge magnet? 'Cos I did feel strangely drawn to this thread, now I come to think about it...

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Alf,

Alf":1dk3sems said:
This is undoubtedly a really stupid question (be kind), but is there any other use for a tyre pressure gauge apart from, well, measuring tyre pressure?
You have to remember that, back in the day, garage pressure gauges were simply awful so everyone seemed to carry their own.

Thanks,
Neil

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf":23j4hm51 said:
This is undoubtedly a really stupid question (be kind), but is there any other use for a tyre pressure gauge apart from, well, measuring tyre pressure? I only ask because of the four tool chest/box contents I've acquired over the years, at least two of them had a flippin' tyre pressure gauge amongst the bits and bobs. I mean one, yeah, fair enough. But at two (50%, no less) you do start to wonder if there was some other use they were being put to.

Or am I just a natural tyre pressure gauge magnet? 'Cos I did feel strangely drawn to this thread, now I come to think about it...
You're not the only tyre pressure gauge magnet - I have the one I bought when I got my first car, one inherited from my father and one from each grandfather. One per tyre now - need another for the spare!

The only reasonable explaination for them lurking in toolchests is that if you don't have a seperate kit of tools for the car, or motorbike, then a toolchest is the logical place for tools. Either that, or they were secretly trying to develop the inflatable bench...

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I think most will be full of gunk and not work well, get a digital one instead.

Pete

thick_mike

Wood Shortener
Reaction score
Alf":2wfluwyp said:

I'm sure the one pictured in the OP could be used to smoke crack :shock: :lol:

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheshirechappie":1nm79t6s said:
Either that, or they were secretly trying to develop the inflatable bench...
Ahhh. Well, now, these tools were all pre-Workmate... :-k :D

Yeah, the "all the tools together" theory is probably the likeliest answer, but I thought it was worth an ask. After all I know I have all sorts of things in the w'shop that I use for purposes for which they were not designed. I can imagine someone being really puzzled why anyone would keep a broken telescopic radio aerial, for instance.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Call me an old codger, but isn't it the case that all garage air lines are entirely unreliable, as are cheap Chinese digital gauges?

I've always used a gauge like that - it came free in the glove box of my first car, in 1977 - and will continue to do so!

Harbo

Established Member
Reaction score
My car has built in tyre pressure sensors ( which i am glad to say hasn't warned me yet) but I also carry a small digital one and pump up my tyres at home using an electric pump. I don't trust the garage ones either?
At home I have an old type gauge in my cycle tool box and others in my car tool box. So any sort of tool box will keep them safe?
When I was on site where we used Land Rovers, their tool kits were the first things to get "lost". They used to contain some quite nice tools like King Dicks and a tyre gauge.

Rod

Crooked Tree

Established Member
Reaction score
I too thought that this was a candle snuffer. Suitably embarrassed now, especially when I look more closely and spot the clip.

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the opposite of a tyre gauge magnet? 'cos all the one's I've ever owned go walkabout :( .