Guess the Gubbins Tool identification quiz....Now with Answers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G#
You put half a cork in each spiked jaw and clamp down upon a newly made vine graft. Whilst clamped you tie it with wire to hold it in position when clamp is removed.

H#
Is for making and dispensing ice cream wafers in 3 sizes Penny Tuppeny and Threppenny.

I#
Is a spring loaded clamp, that when fastened to a table edge allows you to stitch easier with needle and thread.

J#
Is a sailmakers palm

The big wooden item at the bottom is basically a spirit level (sorry, you couldn't see the vial under the handle) but known as a "STEP LEVEL BOARD" for setting out the camber on curved railways. In this case it's quite a narrow width gauge. Made by Woodings Verona Toolworks Pennsylvania USA

Cheers Andy

Is A a Brail type piece for blind people ?
Yes, correct, more information above.

Is I a fly tying vise for making fishing fly's?
Sorry, not in this instance.
It's a spring loaded clamp, that when fastened to a table edge allows you to stitch easier with needle and thread.

Cheers Andy

I thought the wooden thing at the bottom might be a gauge for filling a barrel, since you can get a jam jar sized plastic equivalent today. Rail levels is more interesting though :)
Jam level dipstick.JPG

Oddly, I thought of the braille writing guide. I have one, slightly different design, complete with 'prodder'!
I have a few of these lying around as my dad was a braillist. The prodder is known as a stylus and I was interested to read in Bill Jones Notes from the turning shop that he made these and braille 'erasers' from wood and casein.

I liked the utililitarian nature of his early work, one regular commission was for 10 gross a week of boxwood catheter plugs...

If I may? Bic pen for scale.

Just a thought to run by you all..
Is it just me or do you folks find this a most wonderful object to look at?
Also what is it about spirals that makes me want to turn it whilst having the tips of my fingers in the grooves?

Anyway, enough of my afflictions, my initial thoughts are for plugging up a hole which has been put through a cork as any other materials may damage the wood (Boxwood?) this is made from.

If it's medical I'm not being cured that easily :eek::LOL:
Cheers Andy

Oooer what's that for? Mine has a little flat section at it's tip which I think helps in use. I have found a different one pictured online which is wood but doesn't have a flat tip as your pic.

I've never seen one in the flesh but one was featured on QI they once had strange medical devices, don't know if still used in UK if so my nephew may have one in his paramedic kit.

Latest posts

Back