Guard removed for demo purposes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
promhandicam":1vb4gtq1 said:
He is an old guy with with both hands intact and he has probably been doing it for donkeys years and I don't suppose he gives it a second thought. The saw probably wouldn't meet current HSE requirements, but then a lot of machinery used by hobby woodworkers wouldn't and it isn't as if this is something he has bodged together - machinery was made like that and will have been used by hundreds of thousands of people for millions of hours. Not saying I'd do it but I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.

Here's three obvious ones to start with
1. Pushing on both ends could cause the log to pinch onto the blade
2. Pushing a log sideways into a blade without any support and the log could spin violently with unknown results.
3. How do you keep constant, even pressure with both hands? if one slips off or decreases the pressure in any way and that log angles slightly, what then?

It's not just me, read some of the comments below the video.

Andy

andersonec":aflfk4ht said:
promhandicam":aflfk4ht said:
Not saying I'd do it but I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.

2. Pushing a log sideways into a blade without any support and the log could spin violently with unknown results.
3. How do you keep constant, even pressure with both hands? if one slips off or decreases the pressure in any way and that log angles slightly, what then?

Andy

When I posted my comment, I didn't believe for one second that there would be anyone stupid enough to think that doing this would be a good idea - forgetting for a moment which forum I was posting on :roll:

So for any UKW members who are avidly watching this vintage tractor

$(KGrHqZ,!q0E88giJL!BBPiY2PsYKQ~~60_12.JPG

and this vintage saw table on ebay
$(KGrHqN,!k0FClQoqm9JBQ6Z,PN3D!~~60_12.JPG

hoping to recreate the log splitting as shown in the Youtube clip - ask your mummy or daddy first, before placing any bids.

jimi43":257spkex said:
I don't think there's any problem with it either.

It's a classic example of Darwin's natural selection in action! :roll:

Jim

In other words, all his competitors are either too decrepit to do it or are dead. The fittest still surviving. :)

nanscombe":30ia4zzh said:
jimi43":30ia4zzh said:
I don't think there's any problem with it either.

It's a classic example of Darwin's natural selection in action! :roll:

Jim

In other words, all his competitors are either too decrepit to do it or are dead. The fittest still surviving. :)

Well basically anyone less stupid probably survives....

By Darwin I mean both the great man and the awards! :mrgreen:

Jim

andersonec":3j4yxvzp said:
promhandicam":3j4yxvzp said:
He is an old guy with with both hands intact and he has probably been doing it for donkeys years and I don't suppose he gives it a second thought. The saw probably wouldn't meet current HSE requirements, but then a lot of machinery used by hobby woodworkers wouldn't and it isn't as if this is something he has bodged together - machinery was made like that and will have been used by hundreds of thousands of people for millions of hours. Not saying I'd do it but I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.

Andy
It would take too long to list what's wrong with this, almost as though he intentionally devised a work practice to include every possible hazard which exists on a saw bench.

Mind you, the blade is so blunt what whenever the (more or less inevitable) accident occurs, he might just get away with only moderately severe injuries.

Back