Growing Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
My kitchen is made of Ash. It was fitted about a year ago. The doors on some of the cabinets seem be swelling. I trimmed them in about 2 months ago only to have the swell again to the point where they are difficult to close again. I'm really not sure what to do next. I think my only option is to trim them again, keeping the fit as tight as possible without binding. However, I am concerned that they will shrink again and leave huge gaps.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Well not really advice, I have never had this but a few questions that might shed some light on the problem..
What finish is on the doors?
Are they finished all over?
When you trimmed the doors did you refinish the trimmed faces?
Have you recently started to use something in the kitchen that has bumped the humidity up?

Matt

Are you sure its the wood thats swelling?

Maybe worth checking the hinges? If some are moving or becoming slightly loose, it could make the doors tight. Then after planing down the 'swollen' timber, the hinges sag a little more and the tightness appears again.

Could be rubbish but it may be worth eliminating from your enquiries. It just seems plausible because I would have expected most to have swelled if it was a humidity prob.

Also worth getting hold of the maker/ fitter because it may well be their responsibility. Unless of course you are the maker/ fitter, in which case its humidity :lol:

Cheers

Tim

Hi Mat.

Just an idea. What if you chamfered the inside edge of the doors at a very slight angle leaving a couple of mill or so on the edge.

hopefully this will alleviate the sticking and leave the original edge.

ATB, Gary.

DaveL":16yfi05n said:
Well not really advice, I have never had this but a few questions that might shed some light on the problem..
What finish is on the doors?
Are they finished all over?
When you trimmed the doors did you refinish the trimmed faces?
Have you recently started to use something in the kitchen that has bumped the humidity up?
In order:
Water based spray varnish.
Yes.
Yes, although not to a "final" finish (i.e. it's a still in need of sanding and another coat).
Not that I can think of.

I must admit that I have wondered whether the cause could be the rough finish left after the first trim. In theory it should be sealed though.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Cheers

Back