Groves & Son Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of these saws, whether they are any good etc. I have no other information other than i'm watching one on ebay, its a dovetail saw made by Groves & Son.

I've searched through google etc without much information.

The Porch is your friend. Or more accurately, Don McConnell. Failing that, you wouldn't be the first to PM me a link to an on-going Ebay auction asking for my opinion, which I'm happy to give (within reason, folks. Don't swamp me!) Fear not; I never have, and never intend to, bid on the 'Bay, so I won't become competition.

Cheers, Alf

That's a nice little saw. Buck and Hickman in all likelihood. 20 tpi, coo, just makes my eyes boss even thinking about sharpening it. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1neebhhc said:
That's a nice little saw. Buck and Hickman in all likelihood. 20 tpi, coo, just makes my eyes boss even thinking about sharpening it. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Should be good fun and good practive, its got to be better than my rubbishy axminster saws that I'm currently using.

ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, i was watching that saw, then went to the pub and was betrayed by you. ARGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhh.

Only kidding :lol: , looks like a good buy, i just bought my first 'proper' handsaw yesterday.

Matt....'hick'

hehe!

I am an ebay veteran, sorry to have beaten you.

Ebay rule No.1 ALWAYS be at the computer for the last 5 minutes of your auction! I've learnt that in so many hard ways.

I have my eye on some other saws too, so maybe you'll beat me this time :twisted:

(your not watching stanley planes as well are you?)

yeah, just a few, but don't think i'll be bidding on any off them, got enough at the mo to keep me fettling for a while.

Matt.

I own an R Groves & Sons dovetail saw (10 inch, 16 tpi, nice open handle).

I bought it earlier this year from secondhandtools.co.uk (no affiliation) after being warned by my tutor about buying used saws and the inevitable kink/bend in them (I didn't listen, bought a couple off ebay that looked good from the pics but weren't as straight as I'd would have liked them). I was searching for a decent dovetail saw, couldn't afford the Adria or LN options and happened upon the Groves one. I did a little research and seem to recall one user in forum ?? (I've had another trawl of the web but couldn't locate the post, sorry not much help there) mentioned that these saws were the design basis for the Independence LN saws. Could be a load of cr*p but they certainly look very similar.

As for performance, it cuts very nicely indeed but erm... I haven't used it much recently, lack of workbench aside (it's in storage) I gave my tutor the saw so he could take it to his saw doctor before college ended (June), hopefully I'll be re-united with it in early October!

Cheers

Liam

wachenga":3sco91mb said:
I did a little research and seem to recall one user in forum ?? (I've had another trawl of the web but couldn't locate the post, sorry not much help there) mentioned that these saws were the design basis for the Independence LN saws. Could be a load of cr*p but they certainly look very similar.
Don't recall that before, but I had a trawl and found this.

Cheers, Alf

For the price I paid for mine, seems I might have a little bargain on my hands, I will post my impressions of it when it arrives this week.

wachenga":a9ejnxam said:
I gave my tutor the saw so he could take it to his saw doctor Liam

Liam, your tutor has a saw doctor? In London? :shock:

Please tell is more. I cannot see myself ever getting to grips with saw sharpening and I have an heirloom Disston I would love to get sharpened.

Andy

Well, from memory the story goes, he did have a saw doctor but he recently retired. Then one of the doctor's apprentices returned from up north somewhere to take over his old masters business.

Not based in London unfortunately. My tutor lives in Suffolk somewhere (I'm pretty sure that's where his cabinetmaking business is) but I don't have any details of the saw doctor. I can try and find out more if you like when I go back to college?

Cheers

Liam

Here's the little saw that I won on ebay, I didn't win the Groves & Son as this auction finished first and I only needed 1:

45776647_71696e79ed_o.jpg

If you were wondering what was in the box:
45777258_0f51edaf4d_o.jpg

Only needed one? You're deluding yourself again, Byron. [-X :lol: Very nice though. And droolable shiny stuff too. Check that square is square before you go much further though. :?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

The first thing I did on the square was to test it against a Groz engineering square, and its spot on, which is nice, as I have had squares that were off by quite a few mm.

I have to say regarding the kirschens, although the blades are nice, the handles are just thick with nasty varnish - not good. Looks like i'll be taking a sander to these!.

Alf":27sp6u4l said:
Only needed one? You're deluding yourself again, Byron. [-X :lol: Very nice though. And droolable shiny stuff too. ...
Cheers, Alf
Here you go again, tempting the poor lad :lol:

Wasn't it you who a while ago said:
Oh deary me... I almost feel guilty that we didn't warn you sufficiently. 8-[
But sport is sport... :wink:

Mike

Latest posts

Back