Grip Mat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Just needed to rout the edges on a little plaque....

Set the cutter height, laid the mat on the bench, routed away.... until it rucked up and got caught up on the bottom or the cutter.
Fired me bit of mahogony across the garage and got itself all knotted up round the bottom of the router.

Shant do that on anything again unless the cutter is a lot further away from the mat.

I did something similar with a 1/2 inch makita. It got caught up on a dust sheet that I was using to protect the surface of a fire door when routing out a groove for an intumecent strip. It blew the fuse in the plug and mangled the sheet up.

Whoops brown trouser time...

I have been using a sticky mat for about 8 years with the router never had a bit a bother thought it was a safe process till a couple of weeks ago then the same thing happened to me. Scary

Glad i'm not alone then!

I was a little worried i might have damaged the router for a moment, but it was alright.

Think theres some left overs or neoprene tape somewhere, might make myself a board with some stripes of that stuck onto it for anything thats a little small to clamp.

Failing that, I shall go with the double sided method. Never even thought of that, despite it being how i hold some thngs on the lathe.

Back