Grinding - what was all the fuss about......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I belong to quite a few forums that deal with my different interests, and I do try to search as much as I can before posting my queries, I try to pre-empt the virtual online sigh that must come from the usual contributors who feel they have to repeat themselves.

Grinding - nothing to it , I used a couple of flea market chisels so I could see what I needed to achieve, it was actually straightforward, I didn't use a jig (cant believe the price of them, or that I was contemplating buying one) I just used the supplied shelf tilted to the appropriate angle.

The result, a couple of chisels with a decent 30-35 degree angle.

Happy with that

Mark

Just reread my message, and it sounded as if I was applying for a gold star.

What I wanted to get across was, just have a go - use the chisels you don't mind screwing up before moving on to your good ones.

Can I have a gold star please :)

UTMonkey":2ymopab5 said:
Just reread my message, and it sounded as if I was applying for a gold star.

What I wanted to get across was, just have a go - use the chisels you don't mind screwing up before moving on to your good ones.

Can I have a gold star please :)

The key problem tends to be nasty, manky old wheels that are too fine, and probably glazed to boot. With a decently coarse (you're grinding, not honing) wheel, grinding is a simple and effective process.

Even on a hand grinder.

http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... blues.html

BugBear

You can always get a 'cool' running wheel.

But I like my old Tormek. Water, water everywhere, and I wish they would have devised a better way to fill the trough!

Back