Grinding Oval Skews on the ProEdge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philb88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to get the original profile of the Sorby Oval Skews on the ProEdge?
I've tried with the triangle shaped table guide and at the proposed angle on the adjustable table, but the grind doesn't seem to be anywhere near as long as the original profile?
Also any tips on holding it flat, as it's an oval it rocks when grinding.
Shame these are a pain to sharpening compared to the flat skews as otherwise they'd be really great, instead of just great!

PHIL

Phil,

I have a similar problem with my oval skew (Henry Taylor) on my ProEdge. I agree that it tends to roll when being sharpened and I end up with a sharpened edge on the tool that is curved rather than straight. I too would therefore interested in any guidance others may be able to give on this.

Mike.

The ideal is a jig like the Tormek but I find a block of hard wood the same thickness as the skew with a Vee grove or just a broad saw slot down the length of the side to locate one edge of the skew in works OK.
With careful holding it stops the skew rocking.
skew1.jpg
skew2.jpg

Attachments

• skew1.jpg
    skew1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • skew2.jpg
    skew2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,060
Thanks Chas!

Don't happen to have a picture of your setup do you? Seems a shame to waste the three Sorby Oval skews I got given!!

Or, if you can't be bothered to make a grooved wooden carrier, use a flat one and hot melt glue the skew to it. It should be easy enough to separate once it's sharpened.

philb88":2hbjck04 said:
Hi,

Is it possible to get the original profile of the Sorby Oval Skews on the ProEdge?
I've tried with the triangle shaped table guide and at the proposed angle on the adjustable table, but the grind doesn't seem to be anywhere near as long as the original profile?
Also any tips on holding it flat, as it's an oval it rocks when grinding.
Shame these are a pain to sharpening compared to the flat skews as otherwise they'd be really great, instead of just great!

PHIL
Try freehand without the tool rest. Then only the flat bevel is bearing on the flat abrasive surface and it can't roll if you don't let it.

Hi Phil

This is my big issue with the oval skew. They are marketed as the best skew for beginners or those that struggle because they are supposedly easier to use (which I would question) but to my mind, if a tool is difficult to sharpen then it is neither easier to use or good for a beginner. My personal preference is for a square tool or a more traditional skew with rounded edges, which I know is not much help for your original question.

If you really want to use an oval skew then probably make some sort of "V" cradle to add support for it.

Cheers

Richard

Phil

This probably won't help your opening question but once you have the grind you want on the skew hone the edge with a diamond card to get it razor sharp. I rarely grind my skews but just touch up with honing.

Thanks guys,

Great advice. I would of probably bought flat section skews if I'd of been paying full price, but I got a bag full of new Sorby tools for £50 from someone who decided they didn't want to start turning after buying all the tools! 15 brand new tools for £50 I can't be picky of what was in there.
Now I have an Oval skew in 1 1/4", 3/4" and 1/2" so need to get my sharpening sorted, as the 1 1/4" is a real beast!

philb88":6dox4pxs said:
Thanks guys,

Great advice. I would of probably bought flat section skews if I'd of been paying full price, but I got a bag full of new Sorby tools for £50 from someone who decided they didn't want to start turning after buying all the tools! 15 brand new tools for £50 I can't be picky of what was in there.
Now I have an Oval skew in 1 1/4", 3/4" and 1/2" so need to get my sharpening sorted, as the 1 1/4" is a real beast!

The cheek of him putting in 3 oval skews I would have refused to take that lot . :shock:

You lucky sod !!!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back