Grinding jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just bought myself a cheapish grinding wheel, Perform Whetstone type from Axminster, I'm now after a jig to use with it. Can anybody point me to plans, photos etc that would help in the design and build of one? It's going to be used for first preparation on plane irons and chisels - all I've managed to turn up so far are jigs for turning tools. Ive been looking at the Veritas rest and jig but can't really tell from the pictures how the angles come together. (its the angles that are foxing me most). All help and advice appreciated.
Mike

Thanks for that Martin, its the sort of arrangement I had in mind. What's still stumping me and I seem to have just gone blank in the head where this is concerned is how to set the rests angle to deliver the blade to the wheel in order to get the correct angle at the bevel.
Though looking at the photos on your link the angle setting gauge is the secret.

that little black plastic bit in the link is the answer .

Yes indeed, on further reading about that bit I can see that it's key to the issue. Shame its so expensive. As it turns out the grinder was delivered today, alas the thing seems to have taken a tumble in transport leaving the whetstone badly chipped and the water trough itself (barely) hanging on to one of its mounting points. So I've got a little bit longer to work out a solution.

Here`s a home made jig I use to set the ( Aminster grinder rest ) on my dry grindstone. Sorry about the poor photo. If you need better photos, can do. A piece of bicycle spoke riveted to the front of the tool acts as the fulcrum point and my tool angles are marked on the tool and locked off with a bolt and knob. The part of the tool that bears on the grind stone was gound to match the diameter of the 6" stone then the center was cut away to leave two points that bear against the stone when setting the ginder rest table.
angleset.jpg

Back