grinder offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah good offer but knowing Rutlands doubt they will be in stock (hammer) (hammer)

mark aspin":173dg8qd said:
I'm tempted.... but before I click "add to basket" should I put an extra 20 quid towards the Record Power 6" grinder instead?

now theres a question! Personally I have the rpg6 and dont have any issues with it, but its the first and only bench grinder Ive had so I have nothing to compare it to.
The major difference is i guess is the motors, 200w Axm., 250w dakota and 370w RP.

generally the two rules i go by re. tools, 1. buy the best you can afford, and 2, you can never have too much power! :mrgreen:

anyone out there have either of the other two?

nev":3f2fla3k said:
anyone out there have either of the other two?
I have the RP 8" model and right from the start (even trying different grinding wheels) it's always suffered from noise and vibration. I also have a 6" Draper which in comparison is almost silent

I have a rutlands one and would advise everyone to steer clear, the grinder has no electric brake at all once you turn it off it literally free wheels to a stop taking 2 to 3 minutes, the wheels are poor quality and don't run true.
Very cheap tool with little to no quality.

Also as said it vibrates loads and the supposedly quiet motor is quite noisy.

deserter":3ku730q2 said:
...the grinder has no electric brake at all once you turn it off it literally free wheels to a stop taking 2 to 3 minutes...
I wouldn't worry about that. I've never used a grinder with an electric brake. My 8" Creusen is the same and that costs rather more new (£227!).
Sometimes it's useful to just turn it on for a second and then off again so the wheel is running quite slowly and freewheeling if all the tool needs is a touch-up.

Paul Hannaby":3mw2iac4 said:
Do any bench grinders have an electric brake? I would have thought there might be a danger of the wheels unscrewing if they did?
I've never come across one that has a brake. Maybe some very large commercial ones or those aimed at schools/colleges? They'd need a different method of fix the grinding wheels.

My old grinder which was a cheaply from wicked had a brake of some description as the wheels stopped with in about 30seconds after switching it off.
Will try the sharpening with it off idea though.

deserter":2k9znjsu said:
I have a rutlands one and would advise everyone to steer clear, the grinder has no electric brake at all once you turn it off it literally free wheels to a stop taking 2 to 3 minutes, the wheels are poor quality and don't run true.
Very cheap tool with little to no quality.

Also as said it vibrates loads and the supposedly quiet motor is quite noisy.

"a rutlands one" - but not, I suspect, this one?

over the years I have had a few under different badges and there's no doubt that some are fundamentally better than others - primarily with regard to vibration (which can be the wheels as much as the motor, drive and gearing). Last year's Dakota offer (a different model to the one referenced here) was not one of the good ones for me either. Interesting to here on this particular model if anyone has got it/gets it.

as others I haven't had one with any brake :cry:

deserter":374gbcxh said:
My old grinder which was a cheaply from wicked had a brake of some description as the wheels stopped with in about 30seconds after switching it off.
Will try the sharpening with it off idea though.
I don't think it had a brake at all, probably just not too well balanced and bearing drag.

deserter":2qblkgf7 said:
Fair enough, I kinda liked it stopping quicker though.

I just checked the 'shop and the 'best' grinder I have had was also (cheap) from Wickes - smooth as silk and the natural choice for my expensive wheel...

Latest posts

Back