Grinder Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right guys.... I am having a bit of trouble sharpening my tools :(

I have made a jig which I saw on the teen wood worker (YouTube) and it is pretty much identical to the one he uses.

The jig is good for the parting tools and skews as they have a nice flat face to work with, I am struggling with the rounded tools such as the roughing gouge and the spindle gouge, the grind appears to be stepped and not smooth which I would have expected it to be???

I am working the tool from side to side and turning the handle I make sure that the blade is in contact at all times. I am not sure what I am doing wrong :-/

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.669092,-4.055755

using that jig with the roughing gouge (and I use a similar one) in line with the video at 2.47, you shouldn't be moving the gouge side to side; it's a simple rotation.

key 1 is to set the jig so that the bevel of the gouge is set to the grinder at the right angle
key 2 is a consistent light contact (no real pressure at all)

I start at the wings and roll to the centre from each side, this may or may not be the technical way of doing it but I started that way (nervous about that first contact to the grinder with the centre...) and it works for me.

Hi Nev - thanks for posting that. Why do you say 'first grinder' out of interest - is there something you know about grinders that this one falls short on ?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a pretty old 150mm grinder that is beginning to get unwilling to start. I could poke around inside it and find out why, but the fact that this has a wide white wheel is an added incentive to do a replacement.

Rob

OldWood":2m7jzoml said:
Hi Nev - thanks for posting that. Why do you say 'first grinder' out of interest - is there something you know about grinders that this one falls short on ?

Rob

I only say first grinder cos its at the bottom of the 'suitable' grinder price range. I only have experience with a 6" record, but wiser heads would suggest a grinder that turns slower but with a bit of torque. (i guess it reduces heat and tool wear.)
i am sure someone will correct me if im wrong :)

nev":3cwdv48h said:
OldWood":3cwdv48h said:

Rob

I only say first grinder cos its at the bottom of the 'suitable' grinder price range. I only have experience with a 6" record, but wiser heads would suggest a grinder that turns slower but with a bit of torque. (i guess it reduces heat and tool wear.)
i am sure someone will correct me if im wrong :)

I'm not seeing anything on the website about the motor speed. It would be nice if it was a 6 pole motor and running at around 950rpm, but I suspect it will be 2 pole for cheapness and running at 2,800 revs. I've emailed Rutlands to find out - will post the response.

Rob

Well if nothing else Rutlands do at least deserves plaudits for a rapid reply - very impressive.

Sadly ! So I won't be going this way

Dear Mr Graham,

Thank you for your email.

This grinder has a running speed of 2950rpm.

Kind Regards,

Luke Jackson
Customer Services

Back